Briggs Fuel gauge part# 494277

Carlos

Does anyone have one of these, might be unique to a Briggs Max or Quantum with with 1.75" fuel filler neck(?) not sure.

If someone does have one, are you able to take some measurements of the thread with a vernier caliper for me?

Inside and outside thread diameter
Distance between threads, or threads per inch.
Depth of thread from where it sits on the tank neck to the bottom of the cap would be helpful too

I'm trying to match something up, think this is what I need but would like to confirm it before shelling out the $$.

Thank you

Last edited:
I just went thru this getting a guage I could use with my fox tank. It has a 1 3/4 ID measuring inside the cap. There are a number of different diameters of guages ID. There is a 2.25 1.750 and I think 1.5 inches. I can measure pitch for you but if it is a 1.75 ID (cap) it should all be the same. Some of the larger caps will be a quarter turn which has no threads. Mine had the right ID but was 7 inches long and I needed 4 inches but I was able to shorten the support rods and cut and retwist the pointer to make it work correctly.

Carlos

Great minds think alike!

Ole,

You have done exactly what I as looking to do, use a gauge from a different tank.

The gauge your using looks like the Cub Cadet part #61635(?) There is also Simplicity/Ariens one too #31819(?) with black face markings.

The Briggs 494277 gauge is for a 4" deep tank.

I've done this exact thing with a 2.25" gauge for my Coleman generator and a 1.5" gauge for my Poulan mower. With a little twist you can get them to read accurately at the full mark too.

Still need those dimensions because I'll be using it on a tank it's not intended for. If you could measure the inner/outer thread dia, thread depth to seat and pitch that would be great.

Thanks

... And thanks Bikebuddy, that's exactly one of the gauges I've been looking at using too!