Briggs Model number decode help needed circa 1984

markus

Delete "type" and just use those numbers but separated still to get parts listings. It should be a Ball bearing standard tank 3hp with probably a threaded end PTO shaft.

I’ll up load photos this weekend when I pick it up. It’s on what appears to be a little used fan blower which I’m not sure what the application is. $40 seems like a a good deal

markus

Forgive me but what is a ball bearing engine and PTO shaft
the crankshaft is supported by a ball bearing on the sidecover, rather than what they call a plain bearing (which is just a drilled section through the sidecover thats machined). on these small engines, that usually equates to less long term wear and less endplay so you usually see this in heavier duty applications and things like your fan where a big blade going to be spinning and you only want smooth rotation. The PTO shaft is the end of the crankshaft. That will be the suck thing if you want to use this for mini bike application as what I am seeing from you part numbers, it shows to be a threaded end shaft so you may have to find another crankshaft...or modify depending on measurements.

old shed finds

Its not the end of the world for the use of that engine..
According to our study its a 4hp..
More likely a 3/4 shaft so threaded or not the crankshaft can most likely be machined down to 5/8 .and keyway cut into it.... 5/8 clutch and you're flying it.

Its not the end of the world for the use of that engine..
According to our study its a 4hp..
More likely a 3/4 shaft so threaded or not the crankshaft can most likely be machined down to 5/8 .and keyway cut into it.... 5/8 clutch and you're flying it.
I'll take a closer look and reconsider. Thanks. I'll get some pics as well

Harquebus

You should do pics first because they are worth a thousand words.

...According to our study its a 4hp....
In my experience, the 4 HP Briggs [horizontal shaft, flat-head] usually has the series number 100200; the first two digits are the displacement i.e., 10 cubic inches. Next size up is 5 HP at 13 c.i. [130.000 series]. Or there may be some half horsepower models in between.

*To the best of my knowledge.

old shed finds

Yea I do agree. 3hp the tricky 81 in first numbers break it down as the top quality industrial .. 95% believe it will have a steel sleeve cylinder and other HD parts...

markus

Yea I do agree. 3hp the tricky 81 in first numbers break it down as the top quality industrial .. 95% believe it will have a steel sleeve cylinder and other HD parts...
:D what happened to 3.5, then 4hp? I mean you guys did a "study" and everything!!!! whats so tricky about the 81 numbers?

Harquebus

....The Model number is 81232 0225 type 01. I cannot find any info with this number. Can any historians ID this for me?
8 - Cubic Inches
1 - Basic Design Series (?)
2 - Horizontal Shaft
3 - Ball Bearing/ Flange Mounting/ Splash Lube
2 - Rewind Starter

Pretty sure it's a Kool Bore [no cast iron cylinder sleeve]
You ought to tear it open to be sure.