Briggs Serial Or Model Numbers

I have a Briggs flattie without an I.D. plate. I got it with the Golden Pinto project bike I got last year. The seller says it's a 3.5 hp-and it runs nicely-but I need to know for sure. Is/are there any other ways to find out the age or horsepower rating? There seem to be some numbers stamped on the recoil shroud. Are these helpful?
This picture may or may not be of help. The engine was complete at time of purchase-it just had the shroud taken off for some reason. And it feels rather light-so I figure it's a more recently manufactured Briggs with more aluminum in its construction. Thanks for any info.

Attachments

PatrickCraik

Yes,The numbers stamped on the blower housing are helpful. You can email B&S with your Model # Type# and Code or Serial # and they'll tell you when it was made and the specs. They'll give you the torque rating @ 3600 RPM and you can use a simple formula to find horsepower: Torque X RPM/5252

PatrickCraik

The same info is probably here someplace as well but no matter how I qualify my searches I get reams of unrelated info of which I usually have no interest @ the time. I cant even seem to pull up my own pics?

markus

If you do have the shroud, (that is original to the engine) the numbers on it will tell you what it is. that looks like a small frame size engine, the larger tank on it would point toward being a 3hp the numbers would be 8*2*2 (the * will be numbers as well usually a 0,1, or 3 setup like that. but it will depend on how its outfitted internally. The last set of numbers will be the date code normally, the first 2 digits of that code is the year, That engine should be pre 1980's with that style tanks, so for example if it say 76 that would be 1976.

you should also be able to verify with a cast in digit on the head, front left in the fins, the 3hp will show an 8 as they were know as an 80000 series engine.

If you do have the shroud, (that is original to the engine) the numbers on it will tell you what it is. that looks like a small frame size engine, the larger tank on it would point toward being a 3hp the numbers would be 8*2*2 (the * will be numbers as well usually a 0,1, or 3 setup like that. but it will depend on how its outfitted internally. The last set of numbers will be the date code normally, the first 2 digits of that code is the year, That engine should be pre 1980's with that style tanks, so for example if it say 76 that would be 1976.

you should also be able to verify with a cast in digit on the head, front left in the fins, the 3hp will show an 8 as they were know as an 80000 series engine.
The numbers are as follows: Model #80232. Type#1841-01. Code# 860512. There are 8 cylinder head bolts.

markus

The numbers are as follows: Model #80232. Type#1841-01. Code# 860512. There are 8 cylinder head bolts.
an 80232 is..... 8 is 8 cubic inch+ 3hp/0 is standard kool bore cylinder/ 2is pulse jet on tank carburation/3 is ball bearing sidecover-pto/2 is recoil starter. the code is the date so the 86 would mean 1986.

an 80232 is..... 8 is 8 cubic inch+ 3hp/0 is standard kool bore cylinder/ 2is pulse jet on tank carburation/3 is ball bearing sidecover-pto/2 is recoil starter. the code is the date so the 86 would mean 1986.
Thanks Markus-the little thing runs great and really isn't very dirty. Just a new coat of paint and some decals........I haven't figured out where it's going yet, though. Probably the Ruttman Toad-even though Toads came with Tecumsehs......3 hp is enough for about 25 mph.......

Thanks Markus-the little thing runs great and really isn't very dirty. Just a new coat of paint and some decals........I haven't figured out where it's going yet, though. Probably the Ruttman Toad-even though Toads came with Tecumsehs......3 hp is enough for about 25 mph.......
I emailed Briggs & Stratton with all the numbers-they were basically no help at all...All they would tell me was when it was manufactured. So I'm gonna assume it's a 3 hp model like Markus said. Thanks again, Markus.

They gave me the ratings of proper torque settings for rebuilding-but not actual torque output. And they kept referring to my engine as a 130232 instead of 80232. So something is terribly wrong over there in Briggs and Stratton land.........

markus

They gave me the ratings of proper torque settings for rebuilding-but not actual torque output. And they kept referring to my engine as a 130232 instead of 80232. So something is terribly wrong over there in Briggs and Stratton land.........
:D They threw in an extra 5 cubes for free, No replacement for displacement!!!!!!!

PatrickCraik

Well,Thats an odd one. I emailed their customer service and was treated good

PatrickCraik

Ok, I emailed Cheryl @ B&S cust. service with your numbers. Your engine torque output is 4.6, That calculates to 3.15HP I’m thinking it would be rounded down to 3HP. Plenty to pull you around

PatrickCraik

Here are the technical specifications for your 080232-1841-01 engine:

Technical Specifications

Model Series 0802

Power Lbs/Ft of Torque 4.6

Displacement 127

Oil Capacity 20 oz (0.6 l)

Valve Configuration L-head

Flywheel Torque 55 lb/ft (74.5 Nm)

Governor Arm Torque 40 lb/in (4.5 Nm)

Carb Mount 45 lb/in (5.0 Nm)

Plug Gap 0.03 in (0.75 mm)

Intake Valve .005-.007 in (.13-.18 mm)

Exhaust Valve .007-.009 in (.18-.23 mm)

Idle Speed 1750

Air Gap .006-.010 in (.15-.25 mm)

Flywheel Puller Part 19069

Flywheel Holder Part 19433

Connecting Rod Torque 100 lb/in (11.5 Nm)

Sump Torque 85 lb/in (9.5 Nm)

Head Torque 140 lb/in (16.0 Nm)

Thanks for your assistance!!!!! For some reason they wouldn't send me the torque specs. This 3 hp engine will likely go on my Ruttman, even though they originally came with Tecumseh engines.......The 212 that's on it now will go on my Golden Pinto. Thanks again-take care.

PatrickCraik

Thanks for your assistance!!!!! For some reason they wouldn't send me the torque specs. This 3 hp engine will likely go on my Ruttman, even though they originally came with Tecumseh engines.......The 212 that's on it now will go on my Golden Pinto. Thanks again-take care.
Your welcome,I know most of the info was already posted here but thought it couldnt hurt going right to the source and get a bit more.