Briggs Tank Seem Sealant

What is the best sealant time use to reseal the seem on the Briggs flathead fuel tanks?

I dunked my tank in some solvent to clean it up but it ate the factory sealant.

What is the best sealant time use to reseal the seem on the Briggs flathead fuel tanks?

Wow, it's been awhile! Glad to see you post! Assuming you are referring to the seam on a metal tank, good old solder does the trick. Liquid flux in the seam, and even lower melting 60/40 will work. Let it flow, wipe with a wet rag. Use a wet rag as well to heat sink areas you don't want to melt solder at. Use a propane torch, you don't need much heat, and you don't want it over a large area.

Thanks Dave! That’s what I’ll do. You’re talking basic rosin core solder?
I don't use rosin core, but you could use it. I recommend the liquid or paste solder to apply it where you need the solder to flow. Also, I was just now thinking about your tank and would like to amend my "advice" to include the possibility of Caswell sealant. It's an Epoxy, but I've had great results with it.

Downside is that it's expensive. You can reduce it after mixing to get it to flow, with alcohol or solvent. You can't allow it to block your fuel holes to the top section (assuming you are using a pulsa-pump carb) of the tank.

Thanks Dave. I picked up some 60/40 like you originally suggested and will try that out.

And hey Karen nice to see you too. I’ve been doing small engine repair on the side so nothing exciting just an old rototiller.

Doc1976

so how did your repair come out? did you use the solder? I have sandblasted many tanks for powder coating, and always very careful not to remove all the sealant. the problem here is that the powder wont stick to the factory sealant and makes a quality powder coat hard to achieve. I usually have to preheat the tank to get the powder to stick to the sealant.

Doc1976

Wow, it's been awhile! Glad to see you post! Assuming you are referring to the seam on a metal tank, good old solder does the trick. Liquid flux in the seam, and even lower melting 60/40 will work. Let it flow, wipe with a wet rag. Use a wet rag as well to heat sink areas you don't want to melt solder at. Use a propane torch, you don't need much heat, and you don't want it over a large area.
thanks Dave, can't believe I didn't think of this myself.

so how did your repair come out? did you use the solder? I have sandblasted many tanks for powder coating, and always very careful not to remove all the sealant. the problem here is that the powder wont stick to the factory sealant and makes a quality powder coat hard to achieve. I usually have to preheat the tank to get the powder to stick to the sealant.
I ended up swapping on a newer Honda clone engine and didn’t do the repair but I plan on doing it in the future and I’ll post my results.