briggs throttle linkage

minibikefever

I picked up a briggs throttle linkage from OldMiniBikes but it didn't come with any diagram or instructions. this will be my first time using a briggs motor so the throttle linkage is all new to me, I did check past conversations but I couldn't find the kit that OldMiniBikes sells in use, I have several briggs laying around that I would like to take off the shelf and put to use, thanks.

I picked up a briggs throttle linkage from OldMiniBikes but it didn't come with any diagram or instructions. this will be my first time using a briggs motor so the throttle linkage is all new to me, I did check past conversations but I couldn't find the kit that OldMiniBikes sells in use, I have several briggs laying around that I would like to take off the shelf and put to use, thanks.
Did you purchase the Briggs Throttle Kit - Part # 426774 ? If so, here is a picture of how it looks installed & it should help you figure out where things go. This is also a throttle sett-up for an ungoverned engine, just to let you know.

Attachments

Doc1976

what briggs models do you plan to use? are you keeping the governor installed? are we running pulsajet carbs? I like to use the factory equipped throttle mount on mine. depending on the model and more importantly the carb/throttle/choke setup, linkage can be different. if you provide photos of your setup, I can see if I have any pics of ones I've done with the same style.

minibikefever

it is throttle kit #426774 and as far as leaving the governor installed is it a wise choice or no on a stock motor? this is the first briggs that I was going to clean up and try to put on a frame, I have seen a few bad pics of the linkage and have an idea of what I'm going to do but I would appreciate seeing the correct set up so I get it right the first time, thanks 130202 0015-01 77052007

Attachments

Doc1976

it is throttle kit #426774 and as far as leaving the governor installed is it a wise choice or no on a stock motor? this is the first briggs that I was going to clean up and try to put on a frame, I have seen a few bad pics of the linkage and have an idea of what I'm going to do but I would appreciate seeing the correct set up so I get it right the first time, thanks 130202 0015-01 77052007
On a 5 horse, I would leave the governor intact. Too much chance of it blowing up on you. I would utilize the factory set up. The last pic from this post shows the cable clamp and small hole in the linkage that a solid wire throttle control would attach to. You just need to fab a piece to attach the throttle cable to. I make little swivel clamps on the lathe for mine, but there are other ways too.

minibikefever

I don't know if you can see from this pic, maybe you can copy it and enlarge it or something. this setup is similar to yours, as far as the control hooking up from the back lower part of the motor. just need a way to connect the throttle cable.
thanks Doc I want to use the original set up if possible and I have a nice 5 hp industrial cast iron sleeve motor that I wasn't sure if it would be a good mini bike motor but your picture answered that question also thank you

Harquebus

Using the original Briggs governor/throttle control under the gas tank would be the best, IMO.

See this thread showing both early and later governor controls, adapted for vehicle use---
Briggs Throttle Control

The kit #692316 "Briggs and Stratton Throttle Control" can be used for both engine types, or taking what parts you need, but for your engine you need the clevis that's included in the throttle kit #426774. They can be found separately sometimes.