broken recoil starter

today i finally got my engine working and BAM, the recoil starter broke. I need away to start it, I've seen it done with drills but dont really know how to do it.

today i finally got my engine working and BAM, the recoil starter broke. I need away to start it, I've seen it done with drills but dont really know how to do it.
Hey Jim. If it's the honda/clone motor you're talking about you can still use the rope. Just wrap it around the starter cup, may take a few pulls but hey, beats walking. :scooter:

When I'm working on my Briggs Intek I use a Craftsman 15.6 volt cordless drill with an adapter 1/2" drive and a socket that fits the flywheel nut. Full charged battery and away I go. No need to pull a rope. Much much easier when troubleshooting an engine.

i have a genuine honda gx160. I just fabricated (more of a cut an extension in half and stuck it in my drill) a way for my drill to start it. I'll try the rope thing too, probably just make a holder on the bike(still looking for one) for a cordless drill.:smile:

Still need to find a home for the motor, what kit do you guys recommend.

thanks for all the help and fast responses:thumbsup:

You looking for a cordless? Got mine off Evilbay 15.6 volt with battery 10.00 plus 9.95 S/H. Had it now 2 years no problems. Has more then enough torque to turn thr motor over for a long time.

TomH

I bought a new recoil assembly at a lawnmower shop. They aren't that expensive. They are made out of plastic..amazing.

I'm definitely gonna get one off ebay they are CHEAP. i have a corded one already so great for near the house but anything else..
hey i just noticed you are in NC. Stunner racing has these new. PM me if you in want his contact info.

He got replacement parts as good as anybody else. Also check out briggs boy he is a member here I think he is out in Georgia.

Last edited:
hey i just noticed you are in NC. Stunner racing has these new. PM me if you in want his contact info.

He got replacement parts as good as anybody else. Also check out briggs boy he is a member here I think he is out in Georgia.
where in NC is he, if he is far im not gonna bother