bug flea tire change

Hi,
I have the stock Hand aluminum 6" hubs. i took them off and let the air out of the tires. they are split rims so I took the bolts out. I can not get them to seperate. I have tried penetration solvent and hit the rim with a rubber mallet and still they are stuck together. any sugesstions? thanks.

If you are trying to preserve the tire, your option is limited to continued application of penetrating oil and prying. If not, cut the tire off. You could of course attempt to overinflate the tire and use air pressure to pop it loose. I've never tried it for several reasons.

Which Flea model are you working on?

That is a beauty. I restored an original Flea, and am currently working on an F71. (Competition) There are a few Bug Flea fans on this site, both bikes and karts. Thanks for posting that nice machine!

You can take a piece of 3/4'' plywood and cut out a circle that is slightly bigger than the lip of the rim and use it in a press to push the tire straight down off the rim. It may take 2 layers of plywood to get it to push far enough to come loose from the rim but it will work if you are careful of the rim. I use this setup in a regular 20 ton press to get tires off. Make sure that you bolt the wheel halves back together first.

wow dont change a thing!!!!!!! i have never seen a more complete bike....there are not very many of those around .....its hard to get K and Ps bugs company history of what they build there there were so many changes......this may have been bugs 2nd mini bike model but huge 6" wheels with a 1/2" tubing frame most broke in half then they went to the more common 1" frame....... "lady bug"Faye Pierson is still alive and active in the karting community and at 90 yrs old she still drives you can find her on utube to tell the truth show..check out the vka or vkca vintage karting FB sites the VKCA is running a event aug 17th thru 19 at the santa maria kart track near the airport sat is a kart show Faye usually comes up and this bike would be a huge deal at any kart events.... to take tires off the rim both are great ideas but i think the soak the tire bead and pressing down will work the air thing scares me i almost lost and eye on an azusa rim....note how the seat drops down in the front....look up K and p mfg great history on one of the first go kart companys

Hi,
I have the stock Hand aluminum 6" hubs. i took them off and let the air out of the tires. they are split rims so I took the bolts out. I can not get them to seperate. I have tried penetration solvent and hit the rim with a rubber mallet and still they are stuck together. any sugesstions? thanks.
........................................................................................could post another picture of the bike but the other side? few of these bikes are that original and complete.....also try spraying the rim and tire bead with wd 40 or Kroyl oil set it in the sun for hours then slowly with a motorcycle tire tool or wide screw driver SLOWLY try to move the bead from the rim keep trying till you get it .....im not sure if a go kart shop or kart press would harbor freight also sells a bead pressing tool?

Sorry everyone I have not been back to report on this bug that I owned. yes I sold it. never thought I would sell it either. The only reson I sold it was I met up with Lady Bug herself ( Faye Pierson). She wanted it for her museum in Azua. So if you want to see it its in her musem. Here are some more pictures of it. I included one picture with the original clutch cover, Enjoy!

Attachments

I am sure it was tough to part with it, but given the circumstances, It sounds like the little bug flea found it's way home.
I am sure it was tough to part with it, but given the circumstances, It sounds like the little bug flea found it's way home.
I really had to think about letting it go. Faye had called her son about the purchase and he was the one who made the desicion about buying it for the museum. I felt that it was the place where it could be appreciated by all. Yes your right Robert, it made its way back home...