Build-off, Logiclost

A little background on the project. My friend gave me the frame after he got it from another friend. It had apparently sat in a pile of junk for a while and had a good coating of sludge and surface rust. I saw it, and wanted to clean it up and thus the madness begain.

Now I know some people are diehard restoration junkies but to be perfectly honest, I didn't realize what it was until long into the project. I had already cut and modified things and then came across a serial number stamped into the engine plate. I found out that it is a Lil' Indian and that it probably from the 60's. Too late now. So consider this entry in the build-off as the intermediate custom one.

Now for the pics:

This is pretty much what the frame looked like when I started. The tube for the footpegs was on the outside leading me to believe it was one of the higher models. It was bent quite badly and one of the welds was broken as a result. Not the best placement for a 6'3" rider either so off it came.

The fenders were pretty beat up, one of them bent pretty bad but I got it back. One of the previous owners obviously didn't use washers so at some point the nuts pulled through, elongating and cracking the holes. More on this later.

Somebody at some point drilled some holes in the frame, not sure what for but I didn't want them so they got filled.

To give an idea of how rough the thing was, the top section was before I cleaned it up and the bottom is about half way through the cleanup process.

A few sections here and there had some pitting after all the surface rust was removed so they got hit with some glazing putty to fill the imperfections.

The holes were filled with weld and then ground down. This fixed the previous problem and it also allows me to tweak the angles they bolt on at so I can get the look I have in my head. Not pictured but the mounting bars on the frame and fork were replaced with thicker ones as the stockers were bent quite a bit and the holes were also messed up.

These show the custom spring perches I made for suspending the seat. No idea how I came to this but I found an old bike seat which I pilfered the springs from and then just out of nowhere got the idea for the handle. It just worked so nice. You can also see the seat which was another discovery. I wanted a nice bend on the back but didn't feel like doing it the traditional way so I found a skateboard with one of the ends broken off, I cut it up and busted out the contact cement and layed down some foam and it works so perfect. I have more ideas as to how that is going to be all completed but you will have to wait.

Other big thing, same friend who gave me the frame also had this awesome engine laying around. It is a 1962 briggs, 2.5 HP. I know it isn't a power demon but after seeing it and its mint condition labels and just overall awesomeness, no way I could not use it.

I mean, it just looks so perfect. Same friend also gave me the red wheel which is also vintage.

The engine and the red wheel made me change course on how I wanted the thing to be, after those two things I realized that I just could not turn this idea down. Not telling what it is just yet either, you will just have to wait and see.

No pics to update with but I am working on converting the engine to run on E-85. I am a student in an alternative energy and sustainablity program, so this was a very natural inclination.

It also offers some performance advantage, the carb design will allow the alcohol to cool the incoming air, and the fact it is 109 octane will allow me to mill the head down for higher compression, we know where that leads.

For those interested I am also part of team racing a go-kart powered by a hydrogen fuel cell, Home - Team Element One

First off I have to show progress on the rear fender. Flat black carries a certian degree of badass. Then I did this pinstriping on hand which I spent about 5 hours straight on :blink:

So worth it though, looks awesome.

Then I dug through some parts I've stashed away under the assumption they might be useful. This little polished bracket was part of some highway pegs for a valkyrie but part of them broke and fell off on the freeway.

That is a light I picked up for like a buck

A little bit of work and I ended up with a sweet way to hide bolt heads on the rear fender and have a trick taillight.

First off I have to show progress on the rear fender. Flat black carries a certian degree of badass. Then I did this pinstriping on hand which I spent about 5 hours straight on :blink:

So worth it though, looks awesome.

Then I dug through some parts I've stashed away under the assumption they might be useful. This little polished bracket was part of some highway pegs for a valkyrie but part of them broke and fell off on the freeway.

That is a light I picked up for like a buck

A little bit of work and I ended up with a sweet way to hide bolt heads on the rear fender and have a trick taillight.
Hey. that striping looks great!

Have been making a ton of progress. I first started to rethink my original not wanting to extend the frame. My friend just bought a doodlebug and doing some comparison, I deduced that the Lil' Indian is... Lil'. :doah: I'm 6'3".

So extending it is. What the :censure: did I just do to a perfectly good frame? :hack:

The actual extension is done with 5/8" solid rod that is tapered to fit into the ID of the frame tubing. A piece of pipe 1/2" shorter than the desired extension slips over that leaving 1/4" on either side to weld it all up. :weld:

Other stuff included this plate that is going to be for mounting the stop switch and light toggles.

I also started to get into some detail work, like polishing the heck out of the carb :pimp:

I'll hopefully have a lot more later today. Besides, who posts so early anways?

07D675

Awesome job logiclost. Guys like me work 10+ hour on swing shift can only post at crazy times like 3 or 4 in the morning.
Good job buddy!

Don't I know it!! I work a 12 hr. shift at night and on my days off I'm awake most of the night. Just can't do alot of this when everyone is asleep---> :hack::grind::hammer::weld:

update time

Is that frame 5" longer or are you just happy to see me?

Also note the crossbars for added torsional stability.

Made a plate for the jackshaft and welded it so it seemed like a piece of the engine plate.

Made this chain guard, love it as it is enough not to get your foot mauled off but still has an 'openess' to it for that slightly dangerous out of control feel. Going to make for a nice spot for more pinstriping as well. Also note the awesome pegs. They are a combonation of some highway pegs from a F6 Valkyrie and some $9 BMX bike pegs.

The chainguard is offset from the frame with these pieces of pipe. Need to be polished (along with 4309857 other things).

Chain tensioner I made from turning down a groove in an old rollerskate wheel. Stuff like this and the fact that my seat is made out of a skateboard amuse me as when they are finished not too many people would really take notice to what they actually are.

what type of gearing are you planning on that? on my Fox Sprite with a 2.5HP engine i am running an 11 tooth clutch with a 60 tooth sprocket and the (modified) 2.5 pulls me nicely (then again i only weigh 150-60) and i also get plenty of top end (i top out at around 30-35mph) so that should give you some idea of what gearing you should do with that 2.5

Clutch is 12T to 18T on the jackshaft input, 13T on the jackshaft output to a 72T sprocket. If it goes any faster than 25 I'll be suprised but it should have no problems getting there.