Buying pipes frome hardware store for briggs header?

I was just wondering if anyone buys threaded pipes from the hardware store for their briggs flathead? I assumed it would work without an issue but i couldn't find any actual info on it except for one person briefly mentioned it on a thread that i saw.

You assumed incorrect. It will take the threads with it when it falls off from the vibration. It may take 5 minutes..or weeks..or even months...but eventually it will happen. Too heavy....
But if decide to go ahead with it..at least put a condo jam nut on the pipe or it will loosed constantly.

You assumed incorrect. It will take the threads with it when it falls off from the vibration. It may take 5 minutes..or weeks..or even months...but eventually it will happen. Too heavy....
But if decide to go ahead with it..at least put a condo jam nut on the pipe or it will loosed constantly.
Glad i asked, didn't even think about that. I would need to make a bracket i suppose

Assuming you do go with a condo jam nut and bracket, the reduction of the port size, should increase HP on Briggs 5hp's since the exhaust port is known to be too big for its britches. Good luck.

Harquebus

Depends on how much pipe you have installed, e.g., the weight of the whole thing.

I bought a tiller engine that had a 2-3” length of straight iron pipe, a 90 degree elbow plus the large Briggs sausage muffler. Port is intact.

A brace is not a bad idea though, especially if you’re going all Evel Knievel and stuff, landing hard and getting jettisoned from your bike. :laugh:

Last edited: