CA law against mini bikes?

What the?! So I went on to monstermoto.com and tried to purchase an MB212 and noticed that due to the enactment of a recent law in CA, they cannot sell/ship gas powered minibikes to CA?

This State is becoming more insane and restrictive day by day and it’s driving me nuts! So what’s going on with this law? When was it enacted? Any way around it, short of buying used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So in CA you can ride them but not buy them? In the northeast you can buy them but can't ride them.
This State has been out of control for decades with an outrageous anti freedom, ultra liberal agenda and it continues to get worse year after year. Just when you think it couldn’t possibly get any worse the nut jobs running our State find something else to ban and now the target are mini bikes. Unbelievable!!

Itype2slo

The state of CA is just fine. That nut job will be missed. The state has been restricting the emissions from clone motors for years. Clean air and all that stuff. Nothing new here. :shrug:

This State has been out of control for decades with an outrageous anti freedom, ultra liberal agenda and it continues to get worse year after year. Just when you think it couldn’t possibly get any worse the nut jobs running our State find something else to ban and now the target are mini bikes. Unbelievable!!
Political discussions are not welcome here. There is plenty of that shit elsewhere on the internet, ruining forums.

Also, CA hasn't adopted any new laws preventing sales of mini bikes. Chances are, the vendor you looked at don't utilize C.A.R.B. compliant engines.

I'd check my facts before coming on to a forum and saying the things you did, since chances are, you just offended 50% of the people reading this.

Well I have no idea when this new law took place, but it appears to be more recent. Last summer I bought two Coleman CT100’s for my kids, through Walmart and had them shipped to my home. There were no such restrictions. Now it appears neither Walmart or Monster Moto sell gas mini bikes to CA residents. Only the electric models are available. Both websites cite State restrictions as the reason.

Here’s the message from Monster Moto’s website.

Dave's right, we don't need any political discussion on here; it gets out of hand and gets nasty. The country is pretty much split 50/50 so he's also correct about political opinions offending half (+/-) of the readers. We're here for minibike discussion.

I also assumed C.A.R.B. compliance (lack thereof) to be the problem. The odd thing is that Monster Moto has only had that notice on their website for a relatively short time, maybe a couple of months. I check the MM site regularly to see if they have new models and/or have added the small frame suspension fork assembly to their parts section; it wasn't long ago that I first saw that notice.

FYI: The TrailMaster MB200-2/Monster Dog II is C.A.R.B. approved according to GKUSA.
https://gokartsusa.com/Monster_Dog_Minibike-1.aspx

Political discussions are not welcome here. There is plenty of that shit elsewhere on the internet, ruining forums.

Also, CA hasn't adopted any new laws preventing sales of mini bikes. Chances are, the vendor you looked at don't utilize C.A.R.B. compliant engines.

I'd check my facts before coming on to a forum and saying the things you did, since chances are, you just offended 50% of the people reading this.
Well I understand where you’re coming from and I apologize for hurting your feelings. People these days are fragile and more easily offended. Either that or they’re simply intolerant towards other people’s points of view or circumstances, or perhaps both. Not really sure which camp you fall in, but I appreciate that you have an opinion and I certainly won’t keep you from it.

However, I will add that what I find offensive is the incessant and ever increasing infringement on simple freedoms that others enjoy and for whom no such restrictions exist because their State impose no such restrictions. Unless you live in CA it’s hard to understand or even appreciate what it’s like living in what feels like a tyrannical State run by anti-freedom zealots.

As to your claim about no laws being passed, it appears that you are mistaken and I also note that you live in AZ and for you, no such restrictions exist. In fact, AZ has fewer restrictions on most everything, including firearms, open carry/concealed carry laws, lower state income taxes and overall lower cost of living. For us living in CA who live in a totally different reality and seemingly different universe, we simply want what everybody else has access to. I simply want to buy a gas powered mini bike like anybody else living in the 49 other states and for that matter, most likely every 3rd world nation. Until you have experienced and had to live with the ridiculous laws this State passes, you’ll never be able to understand.

The mere fact that a simple purchase of a mini bike which I planned on using for family fun and recreation is now a banned activity by our brave and courageous lawmakers. To be told that my only option is to buy an electric bike because I reside in CA is outrageous. If you don’t see it the same way, then you obviously don’t live in CA and have little to no regard for freedoms of others being infringed.

Dave's right, we don't need any political discussion on here; it gets out of hand and gets nasty. The country is pretty much split 50/50 so he's also correct about political opinions offending half (+/-) of the readers. We're here for minibike discussion.

I also assumed C.A.R.B. compliance (lack thereof) to be the problem. The odd thing is that Monster Moto has only had that notice on their website for a relatively short time, maybe a couple of months. I check the MM site regularly to see if they have new models and/or have added the small frame suspension fork assembly to their parts section; it wasn't long ago that I first saw that notice.

FYI: The TrailMaster MB200-2/Monster Dog II is C.A.R.B. approved according to GKUSA.
Thanks. I appreciate you letting me know about Monster Dog. That may be my only option. I also tried the Coleman CT200 and that too is on the Banned List apparently. I should have just bought it last summer when I bought mini bikes for the kids.

As far as political conversation goes, I agree. This clearly wasn’t intended as a political thread. I think most people realize that. I also understand the country is divided politically, but that that has always been the case. There’s always a different point of view to every perspective. I guess I’m just mystified at the lunacy of the things our State government continues to get away with. When will the madness end and where will it stop? And ultimately if people have to be censored and speech limited only to the viewpoints that they themselves accept, than we’re losing a lot more as a country in terms of freedoms and it’s not only limited to whether or not we can buy a mini bike. Don’t you agree?

Thanks. I appreciate you letting me know about Monster Dog. That may be my only option. I also tried the Coleman CT200 and that too is on the Banned List apparently. I should have just bought it last summer when I bought mini bikes for the kids.

As far as political conversation goes, I agree. This clearly wasn’t intended as a political thread. I think most people realize that. I also understand the country is divided politically, but that that has always been the case. There’s always a different point of view to every perspective. I guess I’m just mystified at the lunacy of the things our State government continues to get away with. When will the madness end and where will it stop? And ultimately if people have to be censored and speech limited only to the viewpoints that they themselves accept, than we’re losing a lot more as a country in terms of freedoms and it’s not only limited to whether or not we can buy a mini bike. Don’t you agree?

PM sent.

If CA sucks so bad, why live there? You have 49 other options
Easier said than done. Ask yourself this question. If you could move to anywhere in the world, where would it be? Now ask yourself, why haven’t YOU moved? You’ll quickly realize there are a range of issues ranging from challenging to near impossible. For the time being I’m stuck here, but given my druthers, I’d rather be living in Texas or Arizona. [emoji20] [sigh] Someday...

Easier said than done. Ask yourself this question. If you could move to anywhere in the world, where would it be? Now ask yourself, why haven’t YOU moved? You’ll quickly realize there are a range of issues ranging from challenging to near impossible. For the time being I’m stuck here, but given my druthers, I’d rather be living in Texas or Arizona. [emoji20] [sigh] Someday...
Sounds like an excuse to me....
If I was as unhappy as you seem to be, I would move.
Sounds like instead of taking a risk to better your situation, you would rather do nothing and complain and blame a political party for your problems.
In USA we have freedom to live wherever we want, it might be time for you to exercise that freedom.

olddog

At which point does it become easier to sell the California model without the engine, knock off a few bucks and be done with it....I'm half kidding, I know it's not going to happen...

At which point does it become easier to sell the California model without the engine, knock off a few bucks and be done with it....I'm half kidding, I know it's not going to happen...
I think it would be cool if there were a roller option available for a couple hundred less. I've often thought an MM-B212 would be a nice platform in which to swap a Lifan 200cc motorcycle-type engine (multi-plate wet clutch, 5-speed transmission, 16 HP @ 8,500 rpm, 11 lb-ft @ 7,000 rpm, electric & kick start). It would be nice to save some money on the initial purchase if you wanted to do something like that, plus CA residents could install whatever C.A.R.B. approved engine. One could install an electric start Honda/clone if desired. Apparently, Monster Moto offered a small frame roller at one time. Last year, I saw a roller in the parts section of their website; it was an assembled MM-B80 minus the engine and clutch. There was no price listed and it said to contact customer service for price. I contacted CS and was told that the roller was no longer available and should have been removed from the website, which it was soon after my contacting them.