CA law against mini bikes?

At which point does it become easier to sell the California model without the engine, knock off a few bucks and be done with it....I'm half kidding, I know it's not going to happen...
I agree. Having a CARB compliant CA version would be an acceptable solution or a kit version with no motor. Either one would work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like your thought on a roller chassis option. That would be great. I’d even accept a kit version, sans motor and build it myself. Neither of which seems to be an option at the moment, not at least with Monster Moto or Coleman products. What surprises me about all of this, aside from CA outlawing gas powered mini bikes is that the two biggest Powersport companies in the US, haven’t figured out a solution to the problem. Being prevented from selling mini bikes to residents of the largest (most populated) State, with one of the highest incomes on a per capita basis, can’t be good for business. CA has the 6th largest economy in the world. How much damage do you think this is causing their businesses due to lost sales? I have no idea what their annual sales volume was before the ban, but it will be interesting to see what happens in the future as a result.

The part I find so confusing is that I can walk in to Harbor Freight right now and walk out with a CARB approved Predator 212 motor. Yet, I can’t buy a Monster Moto MB212 which comes equipped with a Predator motor from the factory. If one motor is CARB approved and the other isn’t, don’t you think there would be a CA model to bridge the gap? The whole thing is mind boggling. Makes no sense whatsoever.

I like your thought on a roller chassis option. That would be great. I’d even accept a kit version, sans motor and build it myself. Neither of which seems to be an option at the moment, not at least with Monster Moto or Coleman products. What surprises me about all of this, aside from CA outlawing gas powered mini bikes is that the two biggest Powersport companies in the US, haven’t figured out a solution to the problem. Being prevented from selling mini bikes to residents of the largest (most populated) State, with one of the highest incomes on a per capita basis, can’t be good for business. CA has the 6th largest economy in the world. How much damage do you think this is causing their businesses due to lost sales? I have no idea what their annual sales volume was before the ban, but it will be interesting to see what happens in the future as a result.

The part I find so confusing is that I can walk in to Harbor Freight right now and walk out with a CARB approved Predator 212 motor. Yet, I can’t buy a Monster Moto MB212 which comes equipped with a Predator motor from the factory. If one motor is CARB approved and the other isn’t, don’t you think there would be a CA model to bridge the gap? The whole thing is mind boggling. Makes no sense whatsoever.

The Monster Moto has a Lifan engine. It does seem quite strange that MM and Coleman don't have CA models.

The Monster Moto has a Lifan engine. It does seem quite strange that MM and Coleman don't have CA models.
Ahhh...ok. I didn’t realize that. Well then, that does make somewhat more sense. Perhaps the companies are in the process of evaluating CARB compliant motors for the CA market.

Monster Moto used to file "executive orders" to ARB (formerly CARB) annually as required under the Green Tag list (pollution compliant) but stopped.

Their last filing was this model year for their MM B105 and MM B80 bikes, but that was cancelled. Why?

They filed for the 2017 model year on the above bikes, as well as their MM B 212. There was no 2018 model year filing for this bike however.

The requirements are simple. A few emissions tests and a two page form letter.

I have not found where CA made mini bikes illegal, or any evidence of law changes.

If I lived in CA and purchased these types of bikes, I'd have already called Ms. Veronica Longhi, (626) 575-6642 who is the Off Road Vehicle representative at ARB. I'd also call Monster Moto and ask them what is going on, provided I could reach someone who actually did know. Something tells me that answer is known by their corporate investors in Dallas.

Here is the link to the Certification Program in CA which shows testing criteria, as well as the information above. They would know if Mini Bikes are illegal in California.

Monster Moto used to file "executive orders" to ARB (formerly CARB) annually as required under the Green Tag list (pollution compliant) but stopped.

Their last filing was this model year for their MM B105 and MM B80 bikes, but that was cancelled. Why?

They filed for the 2017 model year on the above bikes, as well as their MM B 212. There was no 2018 model year filing for this bike however.

I have not found where CA made mini bikes illegal, or any evidence of law changes.

If I lived in CA and purchased these types of bikes, I'd have already called Ms. Veronica Longhi, (626) 575-6642 who is the Off Road Vehicle representative at ARB. I'd also call Monster Moto and ask them what is going on, provided I could reach someone who actually did know. Something tells me that answer is known by their corporate investors in Dallas.

Here is the link to the Certification Program in CA which shows testing criteria, as well as the information above. They would know if Mini Bikes are illegal in California.
I have worked for attorneys that do not do this much research....I for one am impressed! You sir may have missed your calling...!

Dave, thank you very much! I sincerely appreciate you running that information down and for sharing it with me. That was very nice of you. I have no idea how much time you invested in order to produce that information, let alone coming up a contact person and phone number for me to call, but I truly do appreciate it. I’ll check out those links and reach out to Veronica tomorrow to see what I can find out.

I feel as though it’s beginning to make more sense now that I have somewhat of an understanding about what may be causing the issue. I’m not entirely certain how it’s all going to turn out just yet, I’m still hopeful I may end up with an MM B212, but now at least I feel like I have some direction and now know where to start.

Thanks again for the support.

Last edited:
After looking through just a bit of that certification program it seems that California is gouging the manufacturing industry for cash. Even when the same engine is used for a different model it still needs separate certification!

Tango Alpha,

I do not know what part of CA you live in, but couldn't you just drive to a neighboring state and pick up the minibike there and bring it back?
Primarily sold online direct from MM and from Amazon. It would be difficult to find in stock at a store. Walmart sells MM but not the MM-B212. He would probably need someone in an adjacent state to help him by having it shipped to their address and holding it for him to pick up.

It's in Nevada, I think on Dean Martin drive. I have buddies that go there for stuff.:thumbsup:
I always wonder if it's now legal for me to get in my boat and go half way across the Colorado River and smoke pot. That is the line between AZ and CA, and CA patrols the lake. Here in AZ of course, it is still a hanging offense without that $130 a year medical card.

We're nestled in AZ but at the border of CA and NV, both legal states. I listen to the exact same music I listened to in the 70's, when Refer Madness played in schools to scare us off, and now between those same songs, I am hearing radio commercials telling me that if I am at home, and drank too much to drive, no problem, call this number and we'll deliver your weed to you. On the radio. Never thought I'd see the day. Of course I probably never will in AZ, but it's still weird, and kind of freaky to hear while working on mini bikes.

Itype2slo

Have faith Dave it will happen, you’ll be able to enjoy a $30.00 joint soon enough. When I was a kid I thought Rupp designed the last mini’s with snap cover seat covers just so I could hide my stash. The only commercials I have heard are the med men, the cL ads for weed are pretty crazy as well.. the times they are a changing :thumbsup: