Cadman's Bonanza

Thanks Owen, Rocco, and gammatg !

Now I can see how that is mounted. It looks like the same sprocket, but with the Bendix stuff mounted to it/inside it.

Does anyone know if A - can I use the stock sprocket, and install the brake parts to it ?

And B - if so, are these brake parts currently available ? And which parts would I need ?

@gammatg , @bigevilone2 , @markus

Thanks

I think OldMiniBikes warehouse has correct drum brake for that sprocket.
Thanks Owen, Rocco, and gammatg !

Now I can see how that is mounted. It looks like the same sprocket, but with the Bendix stuff mounted to it/inside it.

Does anyone know if A - can I use the stock sprocket, and install the brake parts to it ?

And B - if so, are these brake parts currently available ? And which parts would I need ?

@gammatg , @bigevilone2 , @markus

Thanks

Robert, I am no Bonanza expert, but I am restoring an MX model and have an original brake assembly if you want it. It measures 5" across the front plate, a tad over 4.5" on the brake side, and fits the sprocket/hub assembly shown. Photos are of it, and the new one from Hent, as well as the sprocket. Yours for the cost of shipping if you want it. Needs painting.

Brake1.JPG
Brake 2.JPG

@Havasu Dave

Dave...thank you, very much ! Yes, we'll take you up on the offer.

That'll be so cool, to have two kinds of brakes.

I'll pm you my address, pm me back with your PayPal and an idea of what you think it'll cost to ship. If it turns out more, just let me know.

Again, thank you for your generous offer !

I woke up after a few hours of sleep, and haven't been able to get back to sleep...lol... so I figure it's a good time for an update.

A big "Thank You" goes out to @Havasu Dave ...!

Not only did Dave give us the expanding drum brake pictured above, but also sent a care package that'll put icing all over the cake.

Dave sent us among other things, the brake perch and handle, for the drum brake, a nice set of black Hunt Wilde grips for the handlebars, and a gorgeous polished velocity stack to fit on a tecumseh carburetor...!

I can't thank him enough...imho...

I'm tellin' ya, the OldMiniBikes has a bunch of great folks !

I'm going to post up some pics that continue to document our progress.

I feel like we are moving slowly, in that we are still in the tear down, and clean up the frame stage...but I am trying to involve Cadman in every step of the process.

We've been going at it on the weekends, and occasionally on a school night. With daylight savings time starting up, this'll give us more opportunity to work on it on a school night.

The only part I've not let Cadman help with, is using the angle grinder.

Here's some more pics. Seems the more we take off of this bike, the better it looks !

20200209_171209.jpg
Cadman removed the wheels, and front fender.
20200222_173135.jpg
Now it's time to get rid of unoriginal, unwanted parts that are welded to the frame. Using my HF 4.5 inch angle grinder (for the first time)... Using a 3/64 60 grit cutoff wheel.
Gotta go...
20200301_142518.jpg
going...
20200301_144624.jpg
Gone...but yet to be ground smooth.
20200301_152049.jpg
I realize this is elemental, but in all the years I've played with mini bikes, I've never done anything more intrusive to a mini bike than wrenches allow. (Where's that bag over the head embarrassed emoge...lol.)

I've got a few more parts to cut off, but feel somewhat empowered, to have successfully cut off welded on stuff, that does not belong on our frame ! Makes me want to learn to weld.

Cut off that home made fender bracket too.
20200301_184854.jpg
Plan to cut off those front pegs, and grind everything smooth during the day today.

Then plan to take the wheels apart...been squirting the nuts and bolts with pb blaster...wheels are so dirty, I cannot see where they split, hoping they come apart easily. Any tips are welcomed.
20200301_161335.jpg

@RobertC if your wheels have the original regular(flat head) screw holding them together, a good penetrating oil sprayed on the threaded side should do the trick. Let the threaded side sit upward and let the oil soak in for days. I use a big Snap On regular screw driver, block of wood under the bottom half, give the screwdriver a good shot with a hammer and then try and loosen them. The snap on screwdrivers have a boss near the handle that you can put a wrench on. The reason i mention this is because it makes it easy to work the screw back and for some once they crack loose if they are stiff.
Now, this is providing that the wheels have not been apart before and haven't had the screws drilled out of the threaded side. If there are nuts on that half instead of it being tapped for the screw, someone's been ion there already lol...

Hey folks, here's an update, that may end up being more pictures than writing.

Cadman and I have been chipping away at it.

Thanks to some tips from @Havasu Dave , and some practice, I'm getting a better feeling with the angle grinder, a cut off wheel, and a flapdisc.

Buncha welds to grind /sand/file down, where other stuff was welded on frame:
20200308_175648.jpg
20200308_175251.jpg
Smoothing them down:
20200322_192816.jpg
Looking better:
20200419_215450.jpg

We learned how to use my manual impact wrench, that I bought from @Biffmini a couple years ago, lol. And with some tips from @Havasu Dave again , Doug @FOMOGO , and Chad @minibikin' , we got our wheels apart !

The manual impact driver really does the trick, for stuck screws.
20200329_141719.jpg
20200329_142043.jpg
Used our vice to help break the beads:
20200329_144410.jpg
20200329_145517.jpg
20200329_145536.jpg
Once the bead seal was broken, the wheel halves came right apart. Laid them out to look neat for pic. Will lay out the after cambo61 version in the same pattern.
20200329_153710.jpg
20200329_153635.jpg
Made a jig, to support the wheel, while knocking out the bearing. Traced the back of sprocket, and inside of sprocket, for the shape. Cut it out with my jigsaw:
20200330_115418.jpg
20200330_120057.jpg
20200330_131529.jpg
Turned it over so the jig supported the wheel, and the bearing lined up with the hole in the jig, used a rubber hammer, and a long 1/2 inch socket to drive out the bearings. Bearings out, ready to package up to ship to cambo61:

20200414_124327.jpg