can a chain b to tight?

vette66_00

Well there should be no less the 1/2" up and down play at mid chain between clutch and sprocket. If there is no play or less that 1/2" it can cause premature wear on all parts. Including clutch and bell housing, sprocket, and chain. Possibly even wear out your engine bearing, which would cause ciaos internally, crank, rod, then piston. So yah don't run it tight.

Last edited:

Mr X

if you run a chain too tight the clutch bushing will wear out so quickly. if the clutch has a bearing that will die too. i always run my chains somewhat loose, so when you are on the throttle the bottom has some play in it.

cxbra

i dont know? i guess cuz its not so sketchy feeling.
Wow, its crazy how life experiences shape you. I've snapped chains bmx jumping, and it ends BAD every time. Just imagine going for a jump and you need 20 mph, @ 10mph the chain breaks but you cant stop.. screwed!! (Jumps had 8 foot deep ditches in the middle).

Just imagine the chain breaking off under the engine's power! You WILL be flung over the bars, onto your face.. and maybe sliced up by the chain that was flung out of a 3-10hp engine.. Losing a chain feels like hitting the front brakes, you dont want to do that do you???

Just imagine the chain breaking off under the engine's power! You WILL be flung over the bars, onto your face.. and maybe sliced up by the chain that was flung out of a 3-10hp engine.. Losing a chain feels like hitting the front brakes, you dont want to do that do you???
i've broken a few chains and it was never like that.

Hello I am new at all this. What you say about the chain makes cents. So I am here searching for answers to why my 10T sprocket got all teeth stripped and this is the second time it happened to a 10T sprocket. Chain is tighter than yall say it should be, but chain is a #40 and still in one piece. The set up is a predator engine slightly modded with gov still on, has a torque convertor belt, a 60t and 10t sprockets on a #40 chain. Could the chain tightness be causing my sprockets being stripped?:shrug::shrug: