Can I use my 8hp head, flywheel on a 10hp

Hey Mike

Nice! I wish i had some one to do that for me. I see those short blocks on ebay but dont want to mess with the tapered shaft. Ill go out to the garage to look at my engines to see what will swap.

Josh

Hey Mike

My HM80 flywheel will not fit on my HM100. So if you have the older HM80 with points it wont fit eather. The Hm100 crank is bigger. The head, intake, carb, breather, and flywheel cover are the only things that swap. At least on mine. The HM80 is older, and my HM100 is the newer style. Im working on my Star clone right now. Ill let you know how that turns out.

Josh

I know the head will swap out and when you put it on, it will work as a high compression head because of the smaller pocket.
Not much of a tecumseh guy so i couldnt tell you about the other stuff but i know the head trick works with briggs also.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
That will work, but sense your doing that I will bolt up a lighter flywheel. I usually don't like to have the crank itself cut. But I have had a Tecumseh Star crank cut to except a 3hp briggs flywheel. Lately I have been getting the flywheel tapers cut to match the crank. Usually light weight aluminum flywheels (3hp jr.dragster, or briggs Animal) These flywheels are billet aluminum and can't handle being cut because the of the material there made from.

Thanks for the help. Ill skip the short block and maybe just buy a complete 10hp Tecumseh eng with the tapered crank ($245) and have my friend Rick turn it down. Id like to bolt the engine on the day I get it but to save $$ I could go with the time period to have the crank modified. This guy Rick has a Booonie bike he built using a yamaha 125 transmission and a small 2 cycle snowmoble engine. He took the yamaha 125 engine, removed the jug and replaced the crank with a dummy shaft he made. The dummy shaft has a sprocket mounted on that connects to a sprocket on the crank of the snowmobile engine via a chain. So he shifts with his foot like all cycles. This guy made me an adjustable jackshaft bracket assembly that is a work of art. I almost hated to use it!