Can someone help me get started on my first taco 22 restoration project?

as you may know i just came across what is to be a 22 taco mini bike that i happened to purchase for 50 bucks. heres the picture ...my $50 mini bike picture by drenchedgremlin - Photobucket

Well this project is gonna take a while until its complete due to a tight budget. but i want to plan the project and do what i can afford in the mean-time. i havnt really done a true mini bike project (well not a restoration) so i am a bit confused on some things.

My first thing i would like to clear up is the paint colors of taco 22s. I would like to know what original colors tacos come in. I dont necesarily have the money for one of them powder coated purple taco frames. But my father has a buddy who owns a auto body shop that could get this thing painted for a low price if not free. I was wondering if there is any other common colors of taco mini bikes. i saw one in yellow on a website. ive also seen them in black. Do you think my ffriend with the auto body shop is a way out of a powder coat?

the second thing i want to clear up is my engine... I was wondering if you think this is the original engine for this taco? If not, would most restoration projects require the original? I mean if i rebuilt the engine, got the main parts repainted, and put new decals on the engine would that be acceptable for a taco 22?

My third question is the wheels. they are very rusty and im not sure if they are the originals. are they good for my project if i clean them up and derust them would they be good to use?

The last, regards the forks which should be rather simple question. I am just mot sure if the shock springs are actually supposed to be functional. because mine are just forks with the springs welded to the tube. looks original but im not sure because real tacos may have functional shocks.

anyone who can help me with this i would appreciate it so thanks a lot!:xmas-smiley-016:

I really want to get it painted the original taco purple. how much should that cost? Do you think the auto body shop guy could do it or does it have to be powder coated?

And can someone with taco experience help me with that question about the forks?

Last edited:

MiniBike Paul

Taco

I really want to get it painted the original taco purple. how much should that cost? Do you think the auto body shop guy could do it or does it have to be powder coated?

And can someone with taco experience help me with that question about the forks?
Go into search and start checking out Taco threads and you will soon know who the REAL experts are. By coincidence, 2 or three of the Taco experts have "Taco" as one of their names - like "Taco Joe", or "Taco Tomsprops" or "Taco Evilone Ed" - even "Guardrail Taco" might be a helpful guy!

edwin

Go into search and start checking out Taco threads and you will soon know who the REAL experts are. By coincidence, 2 or three of the Taco experts have "Taco" as one of their names - like "Taco Joe", or "Taco Tomsprops" or "Taco Evilone Ed" - even "Guardrail Taco" might be a helpful guy!
sounds like you guys are on tacos most wanted list. rotflmao!!!:gunsmilie::2guns::lol:

I think you have to look at the bike from a stand point of; "Form Follows Function." Get the bike running. Change the fuel, put in a new plug. Quit worrying about the color. Yes, you got a great deal and if you want to sell it at a profit?? Now, is the time. After, it is running and summer hits, try your own hand at painting it. Go to an automotive paint store and mix the correct color. Bead blast the wheels and ride the bike and enjoy it. Too many people just give up and sell the bike in pieces after they find out it takes 200 hours to refurbish a mini bike or 4 weeks time....:doah:

As George3 said; Good Luck and use the search button.

TT

painted the original taco purple
Nice find..I'm not a purist by any sence of the word but to be period correct you would paint it NOT powder coat as powder coating to the best of my knowledge was not invented yet or at least not used on Taco's
I'm sure my post will ruffle a few of the members feathers.

No. I think I can tackle this project. You have no clue how much free time I have. I am homeschooled, and usually finish my work and have entire weeks of free time! I think this is just what I need:thumbsup:

CC 51

Paint??????

Nice find..I'm not a purist by any sence of the word but to be period correct you would paint it NOT powder coat as powder coating to the best of my knowledge was not invented yet or at least not used on Taco's
I'm sure my post will ruffle a few of the members feathers.
Who uses paint??????:biggrin: