Can you fix my engine?

capguncowboy

Maybe we should wager some bets! You guys are brutal

@5horsebriggs: The points were set properly and it wouldn't run -- I suspect it was a bad condensor, or at least that was part of the problem with spark. I replaced the points and condensor with an electronic ignition though, so they're no longer an issue.

I shipped the engine out to OND this morning. I honestly suspect it has to do with a timing and/or compression issue. I noticed today while prepping the engine for shipping (taking off the gas tank, draining the oil, removing the sparkplug, etc) that there was oil under the top of the shroud. That indicates a bad gasket on the valve cover (or a warped valve cover) and possibly some bad rings.

At any rate, I trust that OND will diagnose and correct the issue.

I appreciate all the support and suggestions and promise to update this thread with the remedies taken.

Cheers,
Capgun

You Sir Are on the Right Track........Very Close........But Not Close Enough As You Can See By My Friends List I may Know What I Am Doing:anon.sml:
I've never heard of you....or your friends. But if I were in CT and wanted to churn a 202 out of a 194, I'd look you up.

Cheaper than an original double humper.

I recommend you chill your font, and your libido. Lots of guys here run machine shops and have a multitude of builds behind them.

You Might Be I Don't Know As you Don't Either:eek:hmy:
I know that if you worked on small engines 50yrs and raced for 40 that would put you in your 60s and you should be conducting yourself in a more mature manner, that is what I know. That bold text is just childish and obnoxious.

Sorry Capgun, not trying to hijack the thread but it needed saying.

Capguncowboy, I recieved your engine in good condition and after pulling the flywheel , I decided to try new points, condenser and setting the timing to see how it run or if it needed to be tore down.

New Tecumseh points and condenser.

Points set at .020 and timing at .035 BTDC.

Last edited:

Bikerscum

I want to say I'm proud of each & every one of you for not pointing out that Asstrowrench was completely, 100% wrong.

You're all way more mature than I.

capguncowboy

Eric -- I can't express how happy I am that you were able to get it running. I really appreciate it. If you're ever in Bristol I'd like to buy you a beer.

Thanks again
Andrew