Cant figure out the model of this mini bike

I need some help here to determine what this is.I believe its an early 70s fox.but iam not sure which year or model.The motor on the bike is not original but i believe the motor in the other pucs is the original 3hp tecumseh but iam not sure.i believe j may have a valuable bike here but iam unsure

Attachments

cfh

1972 Fox thunderbolt 150, missing the gas tank. and the motor should be a Tecumseh HS40 with slanted intake, which it looks like you have! (though it has an incorrect exhaust.) It could be a model 170, but it looks like the wheel size indicates a model 150 thunderbolt. cfh

1972 Fox thunderbolt 150, missing the gas tank. and the motor should be a Tecumseh HS40 with slanted intake, which it looks like you have! (though it has an incorrect exhaust.) It could be a model 170, but it looks like the wheel size indicates a model 150 thunderbolt. cfh
I have the tank i just need to pick it up from my autobody friend who took a dent out of it.did you see the pics of the other motor?He was not sure he felt the other one was the original.This motor was simply added.But I could be wrong about that too..is it a valuable bike a 1972 fox thinderbokt 150?and thanks alot for the help I need to look into it now as its intresting

I have the tank i just need to pick it up from my autobody friend who took a dent out of it.did you see the pics of the other motor?He was not sure he felt the other one was the original.This motor was simply added.But I could be wrong about that too..is it a valuable bike a 1972 fox thinderbokt 150?and thanks alot for the help I need to look into it now as its intresting
No it is not a valuable bike...Fox bikes are a dime a dozen. Through the years I have had many of them...they have a lower resale compared to Rupps and other 10'' tire bikes.

No it is not a valuable bike...Fox bikes are a dime a dozen. Through the years I have had many of them...they have a lower resale compared to Rupps and other 10'' tire bikes.
I didnt think id get rich but in another forum i was sent about 7 emails in an hour and dont want to sell it but it had me curious.i was told its a 72 thinderbolt(3 guys think that).If it is it’s actually a very rare bike.As I don’t know if it is but I was able to google what they were telling me they think it is.Specially with the original parts.when i say valuable i mean a gand give or take

I didnt think id get rich but in another forum i was sent about 7 emails in an hour and dont want to sell it but it had me curious.i was told its a 72 thinderbolt(3 guys think that).If it is it’s actually a very rare bike.As I don’t know if it is but I was able to google what they were telling me they think it is.Specially with the original parts.when i say valuable i mean a gand give or take
Nothing rare about it. And a grand??? You are about 750 too high on that estimate. Stick around this forum if you want the best advice and what is real. And stay away from the Facebook knuckleheads groups. Everything is rare when you have no clue what you are talking about...lol.

Nothing rare about it. And a grand??? You are about 750 too high on that estimate. Stick around this forum if you want the best advice and what is real. And stay away from the Facebook knuckleheads groups. Everything is rare when you have no clue what you are talking about...lol.
Not facebook at all my friend.3 just sold on ebay in horrible shape for over a grand and currently theres a rotted out frame only for 400 with 7 bids on it.been doing my homework thats for aure.but not looking to sell it anyways.just dislike when people unless they fully know what there saying just talk..as sinply go on ebay and aee what they are selling for or go on any site and look up 72 fox 150 thinderbolt as every single site states its one of the rarer fox mini bikes

Not facebook at all my friend.3 just sold on ebay in horrible shape for over a grand and currently theres a rotted out frame only for 400 with 7 bids on it.been doing my homework thats for aure.but not looking to sell it anyways.just dislike when people unless they fully know what there saying just talk..as sinply go on ebay and aee what they are selling for or go on any site and look up 72 fox 150 thinderbolt as every single site states its one of the rarer fox mini bikes
Stick around long enough...you will see what I mean...lol.

cfh

I would have bought it for $275 as it was in nice shape. the chrome on the wheels is really nice and so is the seat.

As for value, i don't know. I agree that Fox's aren't on the high end of the spectrum like say Rupp. But on the other hand, personally i think they are amazing bikes. In my eye as good as Rupp (they are quite similar.) They ride really well. The Fox Thunderbolt 198mc i think is way better than a Rupp (leading link suspension.) The 150 and 170 Thunderbolts are really nice too, equivalent to Rupp Hustler and Enduro, respectively.

As for "rare" it's not about that. it's about desirability. Foxes are more rare than Rupps, but Rupps are worth more.

Maybe a better way to put it is... Rupps are over priced, and Foxes are more in the correct price range. Fixed up and working i think it's a $400 to $700 mini bike.

joshua. c.

It's funny rupps are valued so high because they're are a dime a dozen around me, granted they're usually stripped to the bone but I could have had 20 by now if I wanted them. The full suspension foxes in any shape rarely ever show up. I've only ever seen 4 or 5 for sale since I started looking for bikes, only one or two of them were complete enough and low enough priced to be worth buying.

From what I've seen regarding what mini bikes sell for, I think 1000 is defiantly to high for what you have. Its a nice bike and since you plan on keeping it I would just be happy knowing you have a bike a lot of people would love to have regardless of value.

the motor you have is a 3hp. The exhaust is on the left and the intake is on the right so its defiantly a 3hp, if the intake and exhaust were reversed then it would be a 4hp. I'm not sure what that bike originally came with but I would think it would have been an hs40.

mustangfrank

It's funny rupps are valued so high because they're are a dime a dozen around me, granted they're usually stripped to the bone but I could have had 20 by now if I wanted them. The full suspension foxes in any shape rarely ever show up. I've only ever seen 4 or 5 for sale since I started looking for bikes, only one or two of them were complete enough and low enough priced to be worth buying.

From what I've seen regarding what mini bikes sell for, I think 1000 is defiantly to high for what you have. Its a nice bike and since you plan on keeping it I would just be happy knowing you have a bike a lot of people would love to have regardless of value.

the motor you have is a 3hp. The exhaust is on the left and the intake is on the right so its defiantly a 3hp, if the intake and exhaust were reversed then it would be a 4hp. I'm not sure what that bike originally came with but I would think it would have been an hs40.
The OP hasn't been back in almost 3 years, the day after he joined, posted his new find and everyone told him it wasn't worth what he thought...:D

My theory on Rupp values being high is because they were popular and plentiful, reliving your youth or getting the toys you didn't get then drives pricing.

cfh

I bought that one. It is a Fox Thunderbolt 14" wheel model 170,and they are actually fairly rare. Not the 150 that you posted. Totally different bike.
i have a thunderbolt 170 (which was a total wreck when i got it). and it is a nice bike. The 14" wheel thing is awesome. I mean it's no Speedway 14" wheel bike for example, but the Fox is still pretty cool. The one thing i don't like about many of the Foxes (including the 150 and 170) is the lack of adjustable (or removeable) handlebars. To me that's a major bummer. But aside from that, the Thunderbolt Foxes are very nice. They handle pretty well (even with non-adjustable handlebars.) The rear suspension is nice, but the front not so much. You get wear in the fork liners, and a bit of wiggle, and it's hard to come back from that. The Fox uses a series30 torque converter (where the speedway uses a series20.) I like the series30 (much like an MTD trail flight.) But again the Fox is no Speedway Blue Angel/Green Horn/Red Baron (which are probably the best 14" wheel mini bikes), but still pretty nice.

Here's mine, with some modifications (since it was missing a *ton* of parts.)
http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/p/fox1972thunderbolt170_mine1.jpg

Last edited: