Capguncowboy's 1970 Rupp Roadster - JFF

capguncowboy

Put gas and oil into the engine for the first time since the rebuild. It took a while, but it finally fired up and ran, nearly at full throttle. I killed it and noticed the throttle mechanism was stuck about half way open. I rectified that and pulled it another 20 times before it fired again. I attempted to clean it up by adjusting the carb but couldn't seem to get it to run right no matter what I did. Does anyone have recommendations on the settings for the carb? Air mixture settings, etc? I'm at about 1700 feet elevation if that makes a difference.

Bottom of the bowl, finger tight..........1 turn. Idle screw, finger tight, back out 5/8. Works for me.:thumbsup: I forget the governor adjustment, will have to check my notes.:laugh:

capguncowboy

Karen, it's a diaphragm carb. It has two screws on the side, one for air mixture ratio and the other for fuel.. ?

Initally, I put both of them in all the way and backed each out 1.5 turns. I have the idle setting at just a hair above flat, and was going to adjust that once the engine was warm and had been running a while, but can't get it to start now :shrug:

capguncowboy

It's a runner! After finally getting some garage time today, I figured out that I had the stupid flywheel key in backwards :doah:

By the time I got a new recoil rope on it (I broke the one on it the other day), it was too dark to get a video of it running/riding. I'll post up a video tomorrow, and hopefully get some final pictures of it as well.

Here's a teaser video until then :)

https://youtu.be/NM85w9TWbNU

capguncowboy

Now thats what I've been waiting for, :thumbsup: sounds good and looks like its got plenty of power .
Thanks Eric, that means a lot coming from you!

Capgun, that is one H*ll of a bike, I really like the RUPP. You have my vote, that bike is bitchen!! RC
Thanks for the vote! I'm proud of it and can't wait to start the next one now. I've gotta rebuild my PayPal account first though. This thing drained it!