Carb question

I have a 3 HP brigs that seems a bit off in power, I adjusted the carb then noticed the gasket on the trottle body (part that pivots to throttle) was only half there and when I started the engine up (and warmed) and shot a small burst of carb clean in that area and the engine died. Is this normal to have an air leak there? Thanks GTO

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
The problem is the carb. The "BEST" thing to do is to take it to a local lawn mower shop. There are so many small pieces, and things that can be wrong with it. You can't really describe the problem, you would have to be there to really know what's wrong.

All I want to know is if it normal or not.

No offence to you but most machanics think their time is GOLD and charge accordingly! (more than the engine cost me) I'd rather go see a lawyer or used car salesman!

Forget it, I'll get a reapair manuals and DVD's and learn the toubleshooting crap myself. :eek: Hell, a carb has less parts than a S&W and I can fix those in my sleep. GTO

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
It sounds like a air leak if you spray and it dies out. But I can't even remember a gasket even being there.

But then again I haven't had a 3hp briggs carb in my hands in a good while.

OK, thanks, It's a tough spot for a gasket to be but there was a half piece of a fiber (non rubber) casket between the arm and shaft, if I can find a break down I'll know if it's supposed to be there. Mybe it just helps . GTO

65ShelbyClone

Get the model and type numbers off the blower housing and look up an exploded parts view on the Briggs site. It will show you where everything goes and what the part numbers are.

I just looked at a 3hp carb I have and there is definitely a sealing washer under the throttle arm. It's possible that your carb has a worn throttle pivot hole and combined with the missing seal makes a significant vacuum leak.

Hey thanks shelby a guy welded a on the tip of the arm for a throttle and may have fried the gasket (it was only half there) I'll see if I can plug the hole while retaining throttle movement. :doah: Thanks for looking for me. :thumbsup: GTO

65ShelbyClone

Sure, no trouble. I can get a picture tomorrow if it will help. I would have earlier, but it was dark when I looked, the carb is filthy, and I had to dig it out of a trashcan. :001_rolleyes:

There is a bushing or gasket on the throttle arm. I have replaced them a number of times. Little tiny scews hold the throttle plate on. Remove those and the plate. The throttle shaft should pull right up. If you think about it a significant air leak at this point could be breaking up the vacum created at the venturi area in the carb. throat.

There is a bushing or gasket on the throttle arm. I have replaced them a number of times. Little tiny scews hold the throttle plate on. Remove those and the plate. The throttle shaft should pull right up. If you think about it a significant air leak at this point could be breaking up the vacum created at the venturi area in the carb. throat.
Hey thanks, I'll do what you said. :thumbsup::thumbsup: