Carburetor Blues

Anyone ever reattach the brass pick up tube on an old Briggs? Looks like it was pressed in. I ended up using another Carb and It ran but started dripping from what looks this plug. Are their replacement carbs available? I got a brand new in the Box Predator I’ve had for 3 years. It wouldn’t look right in my Old Rat Trojan .:cool:

Attachments

Last edited:
Yes, you can replace them. @Dr. Shop Teacher did a nice write up on changing those.

That bit of button there is a rivet for your choke to slide back and forth on. There should not be fuel there to the extent that it drips. That's the intake. Standing fuel means you're way flooded. Used carbs are on Ebay, but you can rebuild yours.

markus

Nice muff Joe! :cool:

Not sure when you see the dripping, but might want to check the fuel cap is functioning/venting properly.

I've pulled the pickup tubes for cleaning and or replacing before just seem to be a press fit into the carb body.

Not sure when you see the dripping, but might want to check the fuel cap is functioning/venting properly.

I've pulled the pickup tubes for cleaning and or replacing before just seem to be a press fit into the carb body.

I picked up that muff at an Antique motorcycle swap meet in Dixon Ca. Maybe off a VW? LOL. So I tapped the tube back on and it fell off again. Are the replacement tubes the plastic ones ? So I pulled a carb and tank off another Engine. ( the one that’s leaking) It ran good but It was running rich so after messing with the mixture screw I flooded it like Dave said . I noticed the slow dripping after I parked it. I’ll put a new plug in and start over. Like others have stated, Guys like you and Dave got a lotta knowledge! Thanks

markus

Yea they are custom tips to replace the "peashooters" on stock VW Type 1 mufflers. I cut them down and pressed a stock hot dog muffler in after cutting them down....so they would tension between the locknut on the block and the muffler to stay tight.

I've personally only ever seen the long tube for the pump to be brass with plastic filter end on it, They maybe make a plastic one as a replacement (?) there's always spares of those floating around here so I just rob them from a parts carb if needed. Maybe score the tube a little where it inserts with an exacto knife, dab of locktite, give a little twist when you are all way in.

I've always found the short plastic pickup for the needle reservoir to be thinly threaded into the carb.