Carl Heald Super Bronc Torque Converter

I was wondering if if an original Super Bronc VT5 torque converter and brake setup work on a Super Bronc VT10? I know the VT5 being a 5/8 and the VT10 being a 3/4 do I just have to change drive side? I just picked up a VT10 with a Predator engine with nothing, drive chain straight to main shaft. I plan on removing the Predator getting and installing a Tecumseh 10hp and have a VT5 setup. Thanks, Dan

Last edited:

mustangfrank

I was wondering if if an original Super Bronc VT5 torque converter and brake setup work on a Super Bronc VT10? I know the VT5 being a 5/8 and the VT10 being a 3/4 do I just have to change drive side? I just picked up a VT10 with a Predator engine with nothing, drive chain straight to main shaft. I plan on removing the Predator getting and installing a Tecumseh 10hp and have a VT5 setup. Thanks, Dan
Kudos for going back to a Tecumseh 10hp.

I'm not familiar with the VT5 clutch type but the Super Bronc VT8 used a 30 series Comet (asymmetric belt) for the majority of production, the last iteration (VT1040) used a Comet 40 series which requires a wider (symmetric belt). I mention these for power handling concerns. Both of my 8 & 10hp Broncs had 1" PTOs too but Tecumseh did make the 10hp with a 3/4" PTO also.

If the Heald guru @chatten63 or someone else with direct experience doesn't chime in, post some pictures of the VT5 setup with measurements and I can go out compare to my factory VT8-10 converter assys. for you. It's basically just a first generation/steel backing plate Comet Torque-A-Verter with different cover mount locations and the brake assy. added.