Cat 250 project

I got the cat apart and blasted . There were 8 extra holes in the engine plate,Along with wallowed out bolt slots and 7 cracks. I welded it up with my limited ability and 110 volt flux core "splatter box", 4" grinder and a driml. I lopped of the hi way pegs and will spend another afternoon finishing the welds off. Waiting on piston and rings for the 2 1/2 horse briggs. It also needs a seat tab repair, new scrub brake pad and the solid pegs welded back.. I think with some practice I may tackle the left rear frame tube that was cut for sprocket clearance.

Some posting and pic practice is also in order, thanks for all the great info.

image.jpg image.jpg

To continue image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

Still working on frame , more welding and grinding. I got the engine stripped and forgot it was 56 years old until I got to the rust. Made a little progress on the sheet metal but had to use a little filler, after the wire wheel and naval jelly followed by primer and black. The frame will be red. More to follow when I stop reading threads and staring at mini bikes.

Thanks OND ! I don't like using bondo but the outside corner and peaked recoil face where a little tuff for my metal skills.. I am really enjoying the process and all the great info here... Even some of the cat fights.. Haha image.jpg

A little progress on frame. Quite a bit more welding/ grinding than I image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg thought. I patched instead of cut the frame tube out. Bent the radius with a conduit bender.. This frame was hacked and chain whipped. I'm gonna try to get it close for a rookie! :hammer::grind: Need a few parts ,posted in wanted.

Cat

QUOTE=Biffmini;1034950]I'm a rookie welder as well, way to go!!! Nice save I think some folks would have trashed that frame[/QUOTE]

Thanks Biff, trashing it never crossed my mind. It was a running mini bike when I got it, let's see if I can make it perty!! I like a challenge . Lots of great help here. I'm glad I didn't enter the build off, It would have been red nose city!!:laugh:

1959 Briggs 2hp Complete

Made some progress. Welding is finally done, a little finish work and I,ll get it painted( red ). I finished the motor after a little mishap in which I put the rod/cap/piston in upside backwards.. :eek:ut: A little binding but second attempt was successful . I had the motor bored .010 over. Found a nos piston and rings on ebay. All the clearances are well within spec , it had the original piston but was a bit scored. The recoil assembly went together on the first try after I watched a video Havasu Dave posted in another thread.Thanks Dave for all your help on this one... Advice , clutch guard and decal ! So I got the motor together and ran it for a couple of 5 minute sessions today :scooter:. This 1959 2 hp is not original to the Cat, but I like it, that's what was in it. So it's a keeper , and I hope in another 56 years it's still running and bringing pleasure.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Looks brand new. Very nice work.:thumbsup:
Thanks Karen . I set the great new seat on it that you made.. :smile:Then put it back in bag n box. This cat gas been a great starter bike for me, and I had no idea about all the work that can go into one. Can't imagine one with shocks, TAV , jack shafts, lighting and other gizmos to refurbish, but I'm looking forward to it!
Thanks for your support BTW Those lil Indian twins are fine!!

Calling it done!

It's complete !!!! I went on my maiden voyage up the street today. It runs good. It looks good from far but far from good:laugh: for my first one I am pleased and really learned a lot. I will ask more questions on the next one up.
Thank you all for the advice, parts and fun banter here! Manchester 1 made the stock seat and Havasu Dave " gifted" me the clutch cover and decal. Congratulations to all the build off contestants , really great skills from all ends.

Thanks. Mike
image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments