Cat 250x - 47 years later

In 1972 at age 7, my parents bought me a used Cat 250x. Gold, solid footpeg, Tecumseh 2.5hp (small metal gas tank). I rode the wheels off it and had to replace the short-block after throwing a rod. It was later replaced by a Honda SL70 and a dozen bikes since then. Always wanted my first bike back. After years of watching Craig's List, I found my bike's twin sister 250xe (the pink one). Had original engine, wheels, tires, etc. (Serial #7002571). $80 later it was mine. Here are my before and after. It is displayed in my office now...

MB 15.png

Cat Bike 4.jpg

Still working on a chain guard replica...

Thanks for the replies! Is anyone out there reproducing the clutch/chain guard for Cats? Not totally happy with my attempt...
Nice job. A member sells them on Ebay from time to time, and every once in awhile, you'll see one very used there for sale. Expect to pay $100 and more. The one you made looks very good. Once you paint and fill, and slap on a sticker, you won't be able to tell the difference. These bikes (Cat 250X and 300 series) are not valuable enough to sweat having that original part, given what they go for. I'll say the same about the 400 series.

By the way, if you get them chromed, a decent chromer will fill them with copper and get a nice finish as well.

Thanks for the replies! Is anyone out there reproducing the clutch/chain guard for Cats? Not totally happy with my attempt...

View attachment 242876
I have no experience with your particular welder set-up. Mine is real similar, but blue. We use non-structural wire, low heat settings, a bit faster wire speeds, and a lot of stitching. Then flap disc on the outside and a die grinder on the inside. Then repeat... I think your work so far is fine, just only half-way done. I like using all of our 1/4” copper plate and angles clamped to the work area to reduce warping and absorb excess heat.
Can’t wait to see the finished, ready for chrome guard.

In 1972 at age 7, my parents bought me a used Cat 250x. Gold, solid footpeg, Tecumseh 2.5hp (small metal gas tank). I rode the wheels off it and had to replace the short-block after throwing a rod. It was later replaced by a Honda SL70 and a dozen bikes since then. Always wanted my first bike back. After years of watching Craig's List, I found my bike's twin sister 250xe (the pink one). Had original engine, wheels, tires, etc. (Serial #7002571). $80 later it was mine. Here are my before and after. It is displayed in my office now...

View attachment 242665

View attachment 242666

Still working on a chain guard replica...