Cat 250X for $5 bucks

snoop

Hello Everyone,

My name is Snoop.

I am new to Mini bikes, Hell I never even saw one until I got mines. OK
Last year I bought a Cat250x for $5 bucks off a neighborhood junkie, that he found in the trash. I just got around to working on it. I am doing a engine swap because the Briggs 2.5 hp engine that came on it was shot. I got a Honda GX200 engine for it. Does anybody know if a torque converter will work with this frame? and where could I get some fenders for this bike?

Thanks

This is what it looked like when I got it. minus all the dirt and oil that was on it
View attachment 76960
View attachment 76961
View attachment 76962

Last edited:

buckeye

Welcome to OldMiniBikes.

Pics aren't picing. .

Head over this,way in a couple of weeks.
We'll tell ya if a tav fits.:laugh:

snoop

yes, I plan on rebuilding it. The Engine was not as bad as I thought. The cylinder was has a few light scratches. The gas tank was full of rust and I will need a new blower housing.

45t

You did well getting that for $5. If it were mine I'd keep it original. Its a 1969 Cat 250X with the original green paint showing through. You have the original Briggs engine with the clutch cover mounts (which are hard to find), the original grips are still there too. The only thing your missing is the clutch cover and peg & scrub brake rubber covers. You can get a new seat made here on OldMiniBikes from another member or recover what you have and a repaint on the frame and wheels to original colors would preserve the bike to an original look. Just my two cents

still, its a very nice original find. Well done.:thumbsup:

snoop

Thanks for your 2 cents 45t. Actually, I was thinking about passing on the bike at first because I never saw one before and it looked like junk to me.Then I posted it on the craigslist to sell and try to make a little money off of what looked like junk to me but I got so many low ball offers I decided to keep it and do some research on it, and that's how I found this message board. I was going to keep it original but I can't stand that factory lime green paint. I am going to rebuild the motor and shelf it, I need a little more power than 2.5 hp and a larger fuel tank. and I don't trust that carburetor.

I ran mine with the BS 2.5 and it was almost as fast as my Tec H35 Cat. I don't know how much more motor you can shove in these frames without modifying them. A good running 2.5 surprised me with the performance, and there's 240 pounds of me. I am not concerned with speed anyway, but with this small frame, your best bet may be to restore it and sell it to someone who appreciates it for what it is, and get a larger frame bike that will accept the OHV GX-based engines.

I guess I just repeated 45t, who by the way was one of the first guys I bought a bike from on here, and it was a Cat 300. LOL. Here's an original brochure photo of your bike.

HPE_Muskin_Cat_250X_Mini_Bike.jpg

You did well getting that for $5. If it were mine I'd keep it original. Its a 1969 Cat 250X with the original green paint showing through. You have the original Briggs engine with the clutch cover mounts (which are hard to find), the original grips are still there too. The only thing your missing is the clutch cover and peg & scrub brake rubber covers. You can get a new seat made here on OldMiniBikes from another member or recover what you have and a repaint on the frame and wheels to original colors would preserve the bike to an original look. Just my two cents

still, its a very nice original find. Well done.:thumbsup:
:detective: im pretty sure that engine bracket that connects it to the frame is original you are missing the top piece. you can make one. i have one just like it . i think they only came on certain 69 models. its a nice cat for 5 bucks!!!!!!!!