Vintage Cat 300

MSPTREX

Took me awhile to decide what I wanted to do with this one but I think I finally decided to do a retro cruiser build with it. I've had this experimental clone motor built and on the shelf for awhile so time to give it a home. I plan on doing bike mostly original with the exception of the engine and color. 20190101_151627.jpg

MSPTREX

It is a great book. I reference back to it to identify bikes and to see accessories some bikes had that are always missing.

MSPTREX

Few small things to get started. Took the original engine plate mounted kickstand off and hit it with the bead blaster before I sent it off to cambo61 to be burnished. I am sure it will look like new when it comes back.

One thing I noticed right away after setting motor on the bike was the factory predator gas cap was hitting the top of the frame. So I swapped it out with a Honda gas cap which fixed the issue of it hitting but still not enough room to remove the cap to add gas when needed. After some searching on Ebay I found an aftermarket Gx200 tank that was just what I needed. Unfortunately the black paint on the new tank doesn't match the paint on the pullstart cover. So it looks like I might have to add those to the list of things to get stripped and powder coated.

Attachments

MSPTREX

Little before and after of the fenders. All I did was soak them in evaparust for about 5 days. Once a day lightly used fine steel wool to knock off the thick areas of rust . Can't believe the difference. I plan on having these rechromed when I have other parts chromed for the bike.

Attachments

MSPTREX

Lots of things going on with the build. Dropped off the wheels to be powdercoated, bead blasted the fork spring, bead blasted the stars for the wheels, got my seat from member kbs8ball, got my original Cat upper fork and clutch cover decals, and then boxed up everything I am getting chromed on the bike.

Also hit up Rafa at GTS Hobbies in LA for a set of repop bottom bars as the triple tree on mine are bent up. He knocked them out the day after I called him, I will get some pics up when I get them.

Attachments

MSPTREX

The Gray Goat was nice enough to send me one of his new throttle linkage set ups he came out with recently for predator/clone. I mocked it up and then sent it out to my friend Ken owner of Ken's Polishing in Arizona to make it shine. I also sent a Mr. Valvecover, valvecover I had laying around to get polished. They turned out great, Ken always does an amazing job.

Also recieved my repop lower bars from Rafa at GTS Hobbies in LA. The set I had for bike where slightly bent and triple trees where a little twisted. Rafa does great work and is very reasonable on prices. The new bars are not only straight but stronger then the originals.

Attachments

MSPTREX

Got the stuff back I sent off to be chromed. It all looks great. Cant wait to start assembling this thing. Everything for the bike is in my possession or waiting to be powdercoated. Unfortunately my powder coat guys mother died at beginning of the month. Not sure when he plans to get back in the shop. But as soon as the frame and motor tins are done I'll be ready for assembly.

Attachments

MSPTREX

Small update. My powdercoat guy is finally back from being sick but is pretty weak still until he works strength back up. I guess being in bed for a month will do that to you.

He got the wheels coated and I could not wait to install the chrome stars. These things look bitchin' and cant wait to see them on the bike. After bike gets coated it will be no time before I get it all slapped together. 20190411_001005.jpg

Attachments

MSPTREX

Was a pretty productive Thursday night. Got the bike turned into a roller and got the engine buttoned up. Some odds and ends still to do. Pretty excited to see this thing all complete.

If all goes well I maybe able to finish it up over the weekend. Frame needs foot peg covers, fenders, grips/throttle, and new sticker on the bars. I would like to make sure the engine is good to go before going on the bike so I will get it started up on a stand before installing on the frame.

The engine on this bike is kind of experimental. I wanted to see how cheap the China clone stuff is so I found a $30 block, $38 complete 14cc clone head, stock length bsp billet rod, bsp4 cam, bored block to 2.765 and used a hemi flat top piston, pvl aluminum flywheel, 22lb springs, champion rockers, Ruing bored stock carb, and a f&b pipe.

Attachments