Cat "All American"

Some little stuff, but mostly done...I'd call it a restomod, because I needed some of its parts for a Hustler project. I used pretty much just extra parts I had in the shed to make a rider. A recycled Tecumseh HS50 pushes it along just fine. I layed up the clutch cover using the Hustler piece for a male pattern, only had to send out the seat to get it upholstered, so kept the total cost down pretty good for this old schooler. The worst hack that the bike came with was that somebody had squeezed the fork legs in a vice to fit some honking rototiller tires....never ceases to amaze me what a kid will do to make stuff work. (been there, done that!) Anyway the bike seems to track and ride OK and I'm happy with the end result.

Attachments

Yes, Its an "All American" I think marketed by JC Penny's originally. I got this one off a local Craigslist ad for $300. My seat was as in the 3rd picture....all gone except for a chunk of the sissy bar which a kid had welded to the frame. I cut it off and reused what remained on a new seat pan that I made out of plywood. My upholstery guy did a nice job in sewing up a cover to my specs...so not original...mostly a "resto mod" paying homage to the original. I'll use the wheels, stars and a good chrome fender on a Cat Hustler that is up next.

Attachments

FunWithStuff

Yes, Its an "All American" I think marketed by JC Penny's originally. I got this one off a local Craigslist ad for $300. My seat was as in the 3rd picture....all gone except for a chunk of the sissy bar which a kid had welded to the frame. I cut it off and reused what remained on a new seat pan that I made out of plywood. My upholstery guy did a nice job in sewing up a cover to my specs...so not original...mostly a "resto mod" paying homage to the original. I'll use the wheels, stars and a good chrome fender on a Cat Hustler that is up next.
I'm pretty sure all of the All American models were sold by JCPenney. I have the same bike you have except mines all original and complete for the most part it's only missing the engine and seat. I was hoping that was an original seat so I could have a pattern to follow for making mine but your upholstery guy did a great job putting that together! That's what I would have imagined the seat would have looked like.