Cat engine plate

Is it me or does everyone take a hack saw/drill/torch/grinder to these cat engine plates and they seem to crack on the front right side about 1/2 a inch in from the tubing

if you have had something like this please post before and after pictures and how or what you did to fix them thanks I welded 1 and just need to grind it down

buckeye

Well crap, I thought these Cats bikes were the "cats meow". :laugh:

Guess I have a couple of scrap pieces sitting in my garage. What ya think they weigh Derek? Scap metal is popular down this way.:laugh:

Is it me or does everyone take a hack saw/drill/torch/grinder to these cat engine plates...

if you have had something like this please post before and after pictures and how or what you did to fix them thanks I welded 1 and just need to grind it down
Pretty common...

This was my 250 when I first got it, someone welded a bunch of crap to it and torched some holes in the engine plate:

After a little grinding and welding:

:thumbsup:

Now it's ready for a Briggs:

markus

I wish I would have taken pics of the 400x plate when I got it from member Marshall man last year, but this one was cut way back at the chain slot and had a bunch of extra slots and the orginal slots were cut into "T" shape:

it was really bad, Almost as bad as this one that was on a duster chopper I had :grind:

I just did these plates the other day:

this one on the mickey bike was not too bad, 4 extra holes, one crack at a frame connection to the plate and one crack at an engine mount slot

Flat and round files help with squaring up the engine slots after repairs :thumbsup:

I was just told that if you clamp a piece of copper under the the holes whenyou weld Iit's easier because the copper doesn't get hot. Is that what you guys are doing?

markus

I have a sort of tool that is basically a section of flat copper with a handle attached to. Thats what I have been using to put behind the plate as I weld. Probably something I bought at harbor freight.

If its a drilled hole I will usually take one of my stepdrills/uni-bits and redrill and it will also sort of chamfer the hole a little so you have fresh clean metal to weld to with a little angle for more surface area for the weld.

cxbra

I really need to learn how to weld. Its the only thing holding me back from fabrication/metal repair and thats a BIG deal with minibikes... Great job!

I have a sort of tool that is basically a section of flat copper with a handle attached to. Thats what I have been using to put behind the plate as I weld. Probably something I bought at harbor freight.

If its a drilled hole I will usually take one of my stepdrills/uni-bits and redrill and it will also sort of chamfer the hole a little so you have fresh clean metal to weld to with a little angle for more surface area for the weld.
That's a good idea thanks