CAT HPE / Muskin 400X MSO (Title)

A while back I acquired some minibike related ephemera from OldMiniBikes member and fellow New Jersey guy Jeff4298. A lot of miscellaneous stuff.....brochures, flyers, price sheets, etc..... all of it very cool.
The crown jewel in the lot though was this original "title" that came with his CAT 400X way back in 1969 which he had saved all these years.

It even came with the cool story of how he got the bike. Seems he had been eyeballing a CAT 350X for months. When he finally saved up enough money his dad drove him down to the store, but the CAT 350X was sold :crying:

All they had left was a CAT250 and a 400X.....so he had to "settle" for the 400X :drool:

Here's his own words:

"Oh I forgot to answer your question about my Cat 400X, I saved up my money from working with my Dad and one night after work we went to the Kiddie City in King of Prussia PA and I counted out 213.00 or so with tax. It came in a huge box and luckily we had a van. I rode the wheels off that thing. Went through 2 sets of tires, 4 sets of disc brake pads, rebuilt the 4hp Briggs once, replaced the handle bar bolts like 30 times, in fact I used to carry extra bolts and the wrenches with me when I went riding. I sold it 8 years later still running like a top to a friend for 150.00. At a high school reunion I asked what he did with it and he can't remember. It still might be somewhere in Schwenksville PA Look for the one foot peg to be missing last I saw it it was orange. The stories I could tell about the fun I had on that bike!!! "

_Jeff

...now all I need is the '69 400X to go with it :shrug:

Last edited:
Does anybody know if specific bikes were produced at each plant....i.e. the Cali plant vs. the PA plant or did both factorys produce the full line of bikes. :shrug:

...seems like a lot more CATS show up on the west coast so I have to believe their production numbers were much higher.....

Does anybody know if specific bikes were produced at each plant....i.e. the Cali plant vs. the PA plant or did both factorys produce the full line of bikes. :shrug:

...seems like a lot more CATS show up on the west coast so I have to believe their production numbers were much higher.....
Both locations are listed on all of the "model labels" I have seen.

I have always wondered about the Canada location though... Was it just a distributer location?

HPE Industries of Canada Limited

Last edited:
Thanks KKK for sharing my story:thumbsup: I just wanted to add that there was no manufacturers Label on my Cat and as many times as I had it apart I never remember seeing a serial number. Just as a side note the reason I settled on a Cat at all was that my parents wouldn't let me order a Meyers or Taco because they were not sure about sending that much money across the country and having them shipped. (Remember this was 1969) The Cats were the only ones sold locally at the time. Thanks, again KKK:laugh:

Excellent Jeff...I love that kind of history. I know it was a long time ago, but do you remember if the shipping cartons were printed on with company logo/ info or just plain carboard covering...

what about those pics of you riding it....finding those needs to be your #1 priority :hammer:

Hey KK (no that's not right) Hey KKK It's funny that you asked about the box here is a little story about that.....My mother always saved every box we ever got "just in case...." well when we unpacked the Cat we cut the sides and were going to throw it away but she said "no keep it" we put it in our attic. When she moves 17 years ago guess what .. yep she finds the Cat box folded up still in the attic, just like the day we brought it home. She asked if I wanted it of course I said no (No OldMiniBikes back then!!) So if I had been smart I would have kept it and who knows maybe someone would have wanted it. As to what it looked like, It was brown cardboard and it had the Cat logo Big on either side in black and on the ends was a smaller Cat logo. If I remember correctly the only place the model was listed was on the shipping label. I think the owners manual could have been in the box also!!! If only I had known!!!! I think of all the other mini-bike literature that I had thrown away over the years:doah: I had a complete set of Mini-bike magazines, brochures from every manufacturer, parts catalogs from everybody you name it. Fortunately what I had is now in good hands!!:thumbsup:

KKK, Just so you know as I was writing about the box I too wondered about the final fate of the "box" so....... Yep I made the call to Mom and asked if she remembered what happened to the box...... well she left it in the attic because it was too big to bring down......and .....she is going to call the owners of the old homestead to see if it's still there:eek:hmy: Wouldn't that be something if it's still there????? stay tuned:thumbsup:

KKK, Just so you know as I was writing about the box I too wondered about the final fate of the "box" so....... Yep I made the call to Mom and asked if she remembered what happened to the box...... well she left it in the attic because it was too big to bring down......and .....she is going to call the owners of the old homestead to see if it's still there:eek:hmy: Wouldn't that be something if it's still there????? stay tuned:thumbsup:
:eek:hmy: Holy smokes, I was only kidding !!!

Well...... a deal is a deal.......:surrender:

Here's the title for an Eliminator. I got the original documents all in the original plastic bag from the dealer. The second picture is the front cover of all the authorized repair shops in the U.S.
All original.

pomfish

Did Muskin actually build bikes in Wilkes Barre, PA ?

They call it a Plant on that sheet.
Interesting and makes sense why there are a fair amount of Cats in PA.
Boy would I have loved to live near there and dumpster dive back in the 70's!