Cat scrub brake help

trinik7597

hey Karen if the arm is bent on yours I have one on a bike I parted out you can have if you want it :thumbsup:
only way I see for it to come off is to grind the weld off and remove the pad

Tim,
Karen said on her bike the pad AND the lever arm is bent, so why not just cut the tube with the lever arm assembly from the engine plate and give her the whole thing. She can then just weld the tube and assembly on her bike...
"just my 2 cents"

Last edited:
Don't cut anything yet Derek. I am going to try any keep it original but I am painting the wheels.:laugh: When I take everything off the bike, I will see if I can straighten that brake out with a BMFH.:laugh:

It's times like these that I wish i could just have an OldMiniBikes'er and bike teleported to me.:laugh::huh:

I have the straightening of the scrub brake paddles and levers on the small Cats down to a science....with the use of a big vice, leverage in the right places....and a little brute force. (all done at work with aluminum vice jaw clamps used) I've done it on several Survivors and Semi-Survivors with no damage done.

It just amazes me how some of these bikes get bent up. Especially the forks. That metal on the mini bikes is some tough stuff.:laugh: I do have a hard time bending it back.:laugh:

I had a cat 250X that had a bent brake pad just like that. I took a small sledge hammer to it and it straightened right out, you couldn't even tell it was bent before. You should be able to straighten it with no problem.

It's times like these that I wish i could just have an OldMiniBikes'er and bike teleported to me.:laugh::huh:

I have the straightening of the scrub brake paddles and levers on the small Cats down to a science....with the use of a big vice, leverage in the right places....and a little brute force. (all done at work with aluminum vice jaw clamps used) I've done it on several Survivors and Semi-Survivors with no damage done.
Straightening and preserving the integrity of the bike and it's original parts is always the preferred way to go, and glad to hear it can be fixed. BUT, the original question was how the scrub brake could be removed, and I believe there is only two ways... #1 either cut the scrub pad off and slide the lever bar out of the tube...OR... #2 cut the welds holding the whole assembly tube and all to the engine plate.