Centrifugal Clutch

So my son and I are rebuilding a Baja Doodlebug, swapping out the 2.5hp motor for a 6.5 Predator. To start him off, I'm only using a centrifugal clutch as opposed to the torque converter. My question, the only way to line up the sprockets was to turn the clutch around so the sprocket is inboard. Has anyone had experience with this and will it cause any problems? I'm only slightly familiar with centrifugal clutches, but I believe it will work whether the sprocket is inboard or outboard. Any ideas or advice!!!!

mustangfrank

So my son and I are rebuilding a Baja Doodlebug, swapping out the 2.5hp motor for a 6.5 Predator. To start him off, I'm only using a centrifugal clutch as opposed to the torque converter. My question, the only way to line up the sprockets was to turn the clutch around so the sprocket is inboard. Has anyone had experience with this and will it cause any problems? I'm only slightly familiar with centrifugal clutches, but I believe it will work whether the sprocket is inboard or outboard. Any ideas or advice!!!!
One of the advantages to a basic centrifugal clutch, works either way, no detriment.

Harquebus

Should not be a problem at all. In fact with the clutch sprocket inboard, you're having the mechanical stress closer to the centerline of the engine which is good from a long term wear perspective I guess but the other advantage is the chain and sprocket is facing away from your leg--

Pants legs, socks and shoelaces have a bad habit of getting of caught it whirling objects with teeth.
I'd look into a chain/clutch cover just to be on the safe side.

Harquebus

Flipping the clutch (sprocket inboard) is common practice when swapping a larger engine into a DB or other small-frame minibike...
Wow, you weren't kidding. That's a great visual resource. You find this issue with other applications too but I think the newer Chinese minibikes (and lots of fun karts) just don't have the modular, multiple motor mount slots (to move the engine around), but just one set.