chain derailment fix ideas.

joshua. c.

chain derailment is one of the biggest issues plaguing mini bikes. especially bikes with rear swing arms and there are a few ways to fix it. one very common way is to make a spring loaded tensioner. solid tensioners are also common but only really work on hard tale bikes. The problem is even the best tensioners fail to stop a derailment every once in a while. I have been looking for a better solution and have spotted 2 ways to fix this. Derailments usually start at the rear sprocket so keeping that one in line should solve most of them. at a local mini bike race I spotted a bike with 2 round plates mounted to the rear sprocket just wide enough for the chain to run threw. this keeps the chain from jumping off solving the issue this wouldn't be hard to mass manufacture a nice looking, light weight version but for me at my current skill level, this would be hard to copy and would be heavy and look ugly.

While looking at a dirt bike for answers I spotted the second way and its so easy I'm shocked mini bike manufacturers haven't picked up on it. they created a chain guide almost like a bicycles front derailleur but beefier. Its placed right in front of the rear sprocket. Its 2 metal plates each holding a Teflon plate on the chain side with a gap in the middle and its bolted to the swing arm. the chain passes threw the gap in the protective Teflon onto the sprocket. This device prevents enough movement to keep the chain from derailing. this idea looks easy enough to copy so I'm going to try it. I looked at the price of buying one from a dirt bike to modify for my mini bikes but they use much wider chains and the prices of new ones just weren't reasonable. The only issue I can see with this idea is having to occasionally replace the Teflon which should be easy enough. I'm a very busy person so I may take a while to build one but I'll update you guys with the results once I do. If this idea works all my bike will be getting one.

joshua. c.

you obviously haven done any real off roading. go take a few laps at full throttle at gomas minibike massacre and you wont be saying that. all my chains are tight and all of them are perfectly aligned and I use good chain, but on a course that rough it still happens.

you obviously haven done any real off roading. go take a few laps at full throttle at gomas minibike massacre and you wont be saying that. all my chains are tight and all of them are perfectly aligned and I use good chain, but on a course that rough it still happens.
You sir are wrong , I race and ride off road frequently, I never have chain derailments, lol

joshua. c.

you don't have a rear swing arm either. it make a difference since most swing arms don't pivot right at the jackshaft point. meaning the chain loosens and tightens repeatedly as the arm moves. also gomas is worse than a normal off road course the race looses at least 5 or 6 bikes sometimes more due to damage each year. he makes it intentionally bad. damage like bent forks isn't un common. I hit a foot wide 4 inch deep pot hole/ditch so hard it blue the front fork spring right out the top of my fork, I never found it and had to replace it. I never fell off and did finish the race by the way. there are hidden bumps and pot holes like that all over the course, its a mine field. his course is the reason I'm looking at better fixes, under normal off road conditions I don't have any issues.

joshua. c.

Those are some of the swingarms you seem to know I dont have ???
ok i was wrong to assume that, my apology's.

This thread is getting off topic. I posted this thread to discus an issue that a lot of mini bikers face and you cant just dismiss it as owner stupidity. plenty of us use good chain and perfectly aligned and properly tightened sprockets and still face derailment issues. every bike and rider is different and where and how they ride is different. what apply to me or you may not apply to someone else.

by the way those are some beautiful bikes.

The first bike dose bring up another partial solution to derailment. it has the swing arm pivoting at the exact same spot as the jackshaft. many older bikes don't do that and have a gap between the swing arm mounting point and jack shaft. on these bikes as the swing arm moves the distance between the rear sprocket and the jackshaft changes tightening then loosening the chain as the swing arm moves. This can lead to a derailment on a hard enough bump. (I know from experience.) a bike like the first one with the jackshaft perfectly lined up with the mounting point of the swing arm wont have this issue. the distance doesn't change with swing arm movement meaning the chain stays perfectly tight the hole time. This is the ideal setup for a home made bike but only a few vintage bikes are set up this way. Reducing the distance between the jackshaft and swing arm mounting point as much as possible is a good way to reduce derailments.
I even saw someone set one up without a jackshaft but
moved the swing arm mount so close to the PTO of the motor that he didn't need one. this had the bonus of less drag coming from the weight of the jackshaft and the extra friction of the bearings, its not allot but its there. the downside is Gearing is more limited and a torque converter is impossible.

also to 174 that type of tensioner dose help a lot I made one for the only hard tail bike I currently have. I could make a spring loaded version for my suspension bikes but I think for those the derailleur guide would be a better solution. it has the added bonus of keeping sticks and rocks from getting caught between the chain and the sprocket.