Chain fell off

L3ND

Put on a new clutch, went for a spin and chain came off. Just curious of a few things....
1. What should the chain deflection be...do you run these on the tight side?

2. Should the set screw be used on the clutch or should it float a little without it?

3. As for the chain, what are some indicators that it's time to replace it?

Thanks folks for any advice

Twid

This is what I do.

1. .5"- 1" deflection.
2. No set screws.
3. Links rusted beyond all repair, physically worn down.

Also check that your engine isn't "clocked" in the slots. There is some play in those slots. Line it up with the frame before you bolt it down.

A straight edge will help verify what your eyes may not see in respect to alignment.
Set it on the side of your rear sprocket and see how it lines up with the clutch.

Your chain looks too tight in the photo. That will compound an alignment problem. Of the two, it is always better to be a bit too loose that too tight. After you get the alignment set and the chain tightness/looseness where you think it should be, block up the rear tire off the ground and SLOWLY spin the rear tire frontwards and backwards and listen for ANY "clicking" noises of the chain on the teeth or any "jumping" of the links. It should be nice and smooth and quiet.
Michael

L3ND

Thanks all for the suggestions and comments...I really appreciate it. I'm going to spend some time on it this weekend. The chain could be decades old for all i know, so it makes sense to replace that while I work on the alignment and deflection.

I'll report back with my progress. Thanks