chain tensioner differences?

I just got my new tensioner, havent gotten around to installing it yet, but i see most bikes like this use the type without a spring, the one that came on my bike was tore up pretty bad but it had the type WITH a spring (pictured left) are these two different styles tensioners any superior to the other? (compared to the one pictured to the right)

Attachments

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/chain-tensioner-help.169787/

IMO, a spring-loaded tensioner is better if it is set up properly. Even if both sprockets have little/no runout, the chain will still have variation in slack (a tight spot, a loose spot, and in between). Check chain tension, rotate the wheel slightly, check tension again, repeat several times, note the variation in slack. If using a fixed tensioner, adjust slack with chain at tight spot.

Last edited:
just to confirm, the tensioner spring install is incorrect in this photo right? I don’t know why these parts places show the image of the spring behind the roller. Previous owner had mine like that and I suspect it locked up the roller and the chain dug a nice flat spot into it :rolleyes:

Attachments

Hello all. First post here. I know it's 2 months old. I don't mean to barge in on someones post but haven't found anyone talking about this type of tensioner anywhere else. I bought a Baja mini bike for my grand son and the same spring loaded tensioner that mkpctv pictured above. Can anyone tell me where I can find the correct size sleeve or bushing to mount the tensioner on the bike? The bore size is 15mm so .590". I have the solid mounted roller on the bike now and the sleeve is too small for the I.D. of the new tensioner. By the way the new tensioner came with the spring behind the roller too. It's there so it won't get lost.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Jim

Last edited:
just to confirm, the tensioner spring install is incorrect in this photo right? I don’t know why these parts places show the image of the spring behind the roller. Previous owner had mine like that and I suspect it locked up the roller and the chain dug a nice flat spot into it :rolleyes:
Hello all. First post here. I know it's 2 months old. I don't mean to barge in on someones post but haven't found anyone talking about this type of tensioner anywhere else. I bought a Baja mini bike for my grand son and the same spring loaded tensioner that mkpctv pictured above. Can anyone tell me where I can find the correct size sleeve or bushing to mount the tensioner on the bike? The bore size is 15mm so .590". I have the solid mounted roller on the bike now and the sleeve is too small for the I.D. of the new tensioner. By the way the new tensioner came with the spring behind the roller too. It's there so it won't get lost.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Jim
On the frame mounting side we just got creative with stuff from the local Ace hardware store on mine.