Chain trouble

i replaced my sons chain on his doodlebug with a chain from tractor supply. did as I normally do. Soak overnight in chain lube, wipe off and install. Tension was perfect. I always check the chain every couple of days when he is riding to make sure it isn't loosening. BUT, the next day I checked and holy smokes! It was tight as heck! Took it off, and first checked engine plate, sprockets and axle. All fine. Chain was all kinked. Bad. In at least 4 spots. I thought maybe he hit some high rocks or stumps as he has done it before. He assures me no he didn't. So, I put a new chain on from the other half of the tractor supply chain. All perfect. Lasted 3 days. Same thing. I know for fact he didn't hit anything. He has been doing all road riding. What's going on? Clutch sprocket, rear sprocket are inline and not worn. Engine has not shifted on plate, kind of at a loss here. Are tractor supply chains not up to task. Chain before this lasted months. It was what I think was just a no name from Eric at OldMiniBikes.

I had no idea Tractor Supply sold the chains. I wonder if they just carry the master links? I think I'll check today as I have to pass close to the local one when I go pick up my daughters prescriptions. Thanks for that information!

After much rain this morning, skies are clearing. I just got back from town and got a 4 pack of master links at Tractor Supply for $2.99 plus tax. I will head out to the garage in a few minutes and see if I have the engine lined up with the wheel sprocket so the chain will stay on. Next will be a fuel tank and muffler. Thank you to RobertC and Idle159 for the Tractor Supply info.

I agree with osf. Try getting the adjustment dialed in while he's sitting on it. My Doodle Bug doesn't have any springs anywhere. I'll be redoing the seat next!

Back to the topic
Does this bike have rear suspension? .
Chain is overtight while sits over night trying to help you on your question.
Rigid. No suspension. After he made a few runs, probably about 5 or 6 miles at about 40-45mph, chain was kinked in a few places and TIGHT! He isn't hitting it on ground or rocks, stumps, etc. i am sure of it. I am going to order the same chain that we put on it in April when we built it. We were doing some maintenance on the bike the other day and figured we would change the chain. it has several hundred miles on it by now. It was fine. Wasn't messed up, just a little stretched. Didn't want to pop links off, so figured just change it. He normally rides about 4-5 miles a day and probably 12-15 miles on the weekends. 98% of his riding is all at mid 40's and on road. Thinking about it now, it probably has over a 1000 miles on it! Damn kid loves this thing.

Rigid. No suspension. After he made a few runs, probably about 5 or 6 miles at about 40-45mph, chain was kinked in a few places and TIGHT! He isn't hitting it on ground or rocks, stumps, etc. i am sure of it. I am going to order the same chain that we put on it in April when we built it. We were doing some maintenance on the bike the other day and figured we would change the chain. it has several hundred miles on it by now. It was fine. Wasn't messed up, just a little stretched. Didn't want to pop links off, so figured just change it. He normally rides about 4-5 miles a day and probably 12-15 miles on the weekends. 98% of his riding is all at mid 40's and on road. Thinking about it now, it probably has over a 1000 miles on it! Damn kid loves this thing.
It must be his "freedom machine". That's a lot of riding. Soon as I got a bicycle I could go way farther than walking in a day. He's covering a lot of ground. I love it.

I had nothing but problems with TSC chain. Constantly stretching it seemed like. Maybe could not handle the horsepower. I think that stuff is meant for low rpm machine applications. Go with good RLV chain and don't look back.

I74

DID chain from Theisens is what I use.
Stuff is made in Japan, & is ''very'' hi quality - shot peened & pre stretched ect.
Around 20 bucks for a 10ft. roll.
You can't beat it for the price. ;)

It must be his "freedom machine". That's a lot of riding. Soon as I got a bicycle I could go way farther than walking in a day. He's covering a lot of ground. I love it.
Yeah. He does appreciate it. We live in a pretty rural area, and he is mostly responsible on the roads with it. He does like going fast! His favorite spot is the ice cream shop/deli about 3 miles away. Most times I find him there hanging out with his friends. I don't know how long these predator engines last, but we will find out!

Yeah. He does appreciate it. We live in a pretty rural area, and he is mostly responsible on the roads with it. He does like going fast! His favorite spot is the ice cream shop/deli about 3 miles away. Most times I find him there hanging out with his friends. I don't know how long these predator engines last, but we will find out!
Change the oil when it discolors a bit or often. They will last longer than you predict. Use some good oil, like Stens brand with zinc.