charge coils and flywheels...late models

markus

On the late models with electronic ignition they have a few different configurations of charging systems. Some of the flywheels have only 3 long magnets spaced out evenly and some have 5 going pretty much all the way around.

So far all I can find that is associated with proper charging coil assembly for the mini bike world is that the flywheels with 3 magnets were in use with those coils-this is on the L heads, I so far have not found where the OHV used that same coil yet most I can find on those so far is the 5 magnet wheel with battery charging capabilities or just the dinky single wire 18w single light system. I am wondering if anyone has tried the 5 magnet wheel with one of those coils and if it works correctly or if I was to try it as an experiment could it be detrimental to the coil unit if it did not work properly :oops:. I do have a test engine ready but I really dont want to blow the alternator out.

I wont even pretend to know how electrical fields work but my guess is that spacing and the amount of magnets is probably one of the keys to what kind of power it generates? I can maybe remove and relocate to 3 of them, Probably wont be as easy is just removing 2 of them will have to see about how they are positioned N/S. I do have a 3 magnet one on the way to compare to one of the 5 magnet ones I have in stock.

markus

So my Batch of 611095 alternators, which are the correct 3 wire headlight/taillight/kill wire, came in today. these are supposed to be used with a 3 magnet wheel, but I had a 5 magnet off an OHV engine to try on an HS50 test engine. that combination is a no-go unless your running 24v bulbs ;)Low idle is 10 volts and jumps up fast upon acceleration. Looks like the 5 magnet is only going to work with the 18w single wire for our applications (unless you are running a charging/electric starting system then you can use one of the bigger units) Although I am half tempted to say that you could maybe bolt up 2 of the 18w units under the wheel (dont have any to try though).

Pictured: correct alternator for standard MB use 611095, crosses with 3 magnet flywheels like pictured on right, not the 5 magnet versions on left. (uses same 3 wire plug as late '69-up style lighted systems....can see my hand holding it up on the engine in background)

So my Batch of 611095 alternators, which are the correct 3 wire headlight/taillight/kill wire, came in today. these are supposed to be used with a 3 magnet wheel, but I had a 5 magnet off an OHV engine to try on an HS50 test engine. that combination is a no-go unless your running 24v bulbs ;)Low idle is 10 volts and jumps up fast upon acceleration. Looks like the 5 magnet is only going to work with the 18w single wire for our applications (unless you are running a charging/electric starting system then you can use one of the bigger units) Although I am half tempted to say that you could maybe bolt up 2 of the 18w units under the wheel (dont have any to try though).

Pictured: correct alternator for standard MB use 611095, crosses with 3 magnet flywheels like pictured on right, not the 5 magnet versions on left. (uses same 3 wire plug as late '69-up style lighted systems....can see my hand holding it up on the engine in background)
Voltage regulators are cheap. Will it work to limit the voltage and still use the extra magnets? If it will work you would have more stable idle voltage and proper top limited voltage.