Cheap Lathe

I bought one of those Chinese 9"x20" lathes available at several retailers under several different brand names.

Even though they sell for under $1000, I still wish I hadn't bought it. If you're contemplating buying one for yourself, open the cover and look at the drive system first.

They're advertised as belt/gear drive, and I was expecting to see a much bigger drive belt...one that wouldn't snap frequently...only the 120 rpm setting is clutched to prevent belt breakage if you stick the tool while turning.

Check out the pics if you're interested...the belt I'm holding up for size comparision is an 'A'.

The x-axis power feed drive gear broke off once also, so this machine has other problems as well.

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
LOL, that's to bad. What you should do like me is make good friends with someone that already has the best machine shop in town. That way they would just let you pay a couple bucks for shop time and do what ever you want to do.

I just finished up my billet flywheel for my next project. It started off at 2.85 lbs. Now it's 1lb less and looks tricked out. I will try to get a picture of it.

MDB...that flywheel turned out awesome, man. It's good to have friends.

Kenny...:asshole: kiss me right here, please.

My family are all machinists...we have dozens of personal machine tools, including CNC lathes and mills. I was looking for a small lathe to put in my garage, where I build my minibikes each evening instead of watching TV.
I just wanted to let everyone know what could be a problem for them if they were thinking of doing the same thing.

Some of these cheap Chinese tools work pretty good...the bandsaw discussed elsewhere in this section works decently enough with good bands-has an 'A' drive belt, also. We have several of them...one sits right next to a Haas CNC lathe and is used to cut stainless rod to length before machining.

I don't want anyone to think kbs8ball (Kenny) and I are trying to offend each other...we're actually good friends, and say some really off-the-hook stuff to each other in PM's and e-mails.

65ShelbyClone

Sometimes it's nice to find a cheap used full size engine lathe if you have the space and 3-phase power for one. My old man had a Tsugami chucker from around 1966 or '67 he got for $800. It was borderline worn out, but it was still a capable machine.

there are many nice single phase older units out ther for sale...that will save the expense and hassle with the 3 phase. If the unit is just used for hobby, single phase will suit most needs. Many matured (trying to be politically correct) guys restore the older units(replace worn bushings, etc) for something to do and don't want rediculous $$ for them once they are finished with them

65ShelbyClone

Yeah, but a phase converter for a 2-3hp motor isn't that expensive. If you're desperate or cheap you can use a 3-phase electric motor as a rotary phase converter. Something my pops did was rig up a small solid state phase converter, too small to start the machines, to start a freespinning 3-phase motor. The motor produced enough 3-phase power to start the other 3-phase manual machines. Not very efficient, but it works in a pinch.

I have had my Chinese 9 x 20 for eight years now.

Here is the trick to making the GROSSLY UNDERSIZED poly belt last: Add an S-hook to the tensioner spring. The spring tension is set way too high from the factory and damages the structure of the belt. I snapped several of these undersized and overprices belts before I found the Yahoo user group for this machine and found the solution.

I bought mine for $700, and had to make some upgrades (motor burned out almost immediately), but overall I am very happy with it. I added a digital read out to the cross slide, and I can produce parts very accurately now.

Getting a "real" lathe down my basement stairs was not an option.

Not exactly the same topic...

..but I'm a fan of the Gingery series on building machine tools at home. The education is priceless...