Checking Oil in a Honda Clone

Sooner79

Maybe a stupid question but my checking here and online so far hasn’t found an answer and I suspect there may not be a consensus here. I just put oil in my new Hisun 196cc clone (bike was level) and it overflowed with right at 1/2 quart. So I screwed the plug/dipstick in and fired it up (started on first pull - it amazes me how $100 Chinese engines regularly do that). Now my question - with the bike level, is the accurate oil level check with the plug/dipstick screwed in or not? My Toro mower specifically says the oil level is measured without tightening the plug/dipstick down, but it’s a top fill B&S 6.5 HP engine. So, does anybody know ?

Sooner79

I finally found an answer online. I guess now we can debate whether or not it’s accurate. See below which is from a Honda GX200 Owners Manual, and comment if you agree or not:

1D5E83F5-0AC2-4E08-AFEC-D61D47A3931B.png

SAS289

I agree with the Honda manual. I just filled my Greyhound with oil last night. I started with 15oz and topped off. May have put 17oz total. The engine may have had an oz in it from what I used for assembly.

I opened 2 of those Hisuns when they were new and they looked good inside. Reason I opened them is because all three of my Greyhounds had metals shavings inside brand new and I wanted to check if this was the case with the Hisuns. The Hisuns were very clean.

Those one handed one or two pull starts are another reason why I stay governed. Hondas linkage/governor design is worth keeping IMO. Especially if you start out knowing you won't be running higher ungoverned RPM. I didn't buy a rod and flywheel to run without the governor, I bought them because it's now a much better engine. If and when the bike gets sold they can pull the gov and be all set if they choose to do so.

Last edited: