China Tillotson carb on a 5hp Briggs Flathead?

Hello all,

Just like the title says, im thinking about trying one of the cheap tillotson carbs that you find online.

I have a 5hp flathead briggs, that I would like to use a remote gas tank with. I was doing some carb research and came across people using these carbs on scooters.

Its a HL-324A/HL244A replacement carb, for a Stihl 090 chain saw.

It has a 26mm throttle bore...that is really all I know.

I'm just wandering if this is even going to work at all on the flathead, I know I will need to make an intake; but I'm concerned about the size/flow...

Any info would be great, thanks in advance,
Ryan

65ShelbyClone

Those $10 Tillotson HL-324 knockoffs are junk (the ones I have anyway) and the design itself is not that great for anything but a race kart or chainsaw. For a few more dollars I would recommend a 20-22mm slide carb.

My 5hp Briggs runs well with a 18mm chikuni slide carb, you may need to change the jets to get the mixture spot on. YMMV depending on engine modifications and altitude.

IMHO
If you are going to go through the trouble of making an intake, use a slide carb. The Chikunis are cheap and work really well in my experience.
Diaphragm carbs are cool too but not sure the knock off performance of the tillys is on par with knock of performance of the mikunis.