chineese carbs?

looking to replace a corroded carb on a 3 hp techumseh engine.....are the chineese repl. carbs any good? or stick w/tech. o.e.m. opinions?:confused: Thanks Mick

I have had good luck with them other than one had an issue with the gasket that holds the bottom of the bowl on .... Cheap to replace if need be.

I have used several and never a problem. As a matter of fact, I will be ordering another one for my build off bike here shortly from ebay. As stated above, "$15 , it's hard to rebuild one for that !"

I have used several and never a problem. As a matter of fact, I will be ordering another one for my build off bike here shortly from ebay. As stated above, "$15 , it's hard to rebuild one for that !"
All right , I'm not the only tight ass , besides Buckeye of course :laugh:

I put one on my snowblower, works great! "AEPower" on the box. Ebay seller "deezeeauto" shipped from Oxford, MI. I got it in 3 or 4 days. :thumbsup:

I think they suck. I'd guess 50% could not idle. Im talking no change in engine speed turning the idle screw all the way out and in. Hit and miss i'd guess you csn say.

Better off getting good at rebuilding the original carbs.

looking to replace a corroded carb on a 3 hp techumseh engine.....are the chineese repl. carbs any good? or stick w/tech. o.e.m. opinions?:confused: Thanks Mick
Just to be clear any new parts will be Chinese.
They do make a good carb, some have complained they got bad ones, but from what I have seen the quality of the Chinese parts are better.

The engine end of Tecumseh was in deep trouble and the quality of the casting and parts shows how poor the condition of the tooling many of these things were made on was in before they went bust.
There comes a point when something is so cheaply made that aftermarket parts are better.

The engine end of Tecumseh was in deep trouble and the quality of the casting and parts shows how poor the condition of the tooling many of these things were made on was in before they went bust.
There comes a point when something is so cheaply made that aftermarket parts are better.
Where did you get that information from? From the ten or more Chinese carbs I've purchased as compared to the six or seven Tec carbs I've rebuilt, the difference in casting is night and day. Even the new replacement Tecumseh products labeled as "Tecumseh" not Oregon and the like, are vastly superior to that $15 piece being discussed here.

You blame Tecumseh's diminishing casting skills not rendering and easy copy job for the Chinese copier???? Please don't apply axioms to an article unaffected by broad-brush internet lore.

1971 MB1A, I have received three of those $15 carburetors that were so poorly cast they wouldn't retain the hinge pin for the float. I returned them of course. On virtually all of them, the bottom (high speed) jet housing is torqued into the bottom so tight that the gasket is distorted and ripped, requiring replacement. It takes two hands, that's how tight those Chinese kids torque them.

You take your chances for $15. For me, if it's a bike I plan on riding often, or one I've spend a lot of money restoring, I opt for an actual Tec carb, which is about $80. While tuning and riding, you see the difference. Is that difference worth $60 more? In some cases not. But I'd never compare them to each other. They're band aids. If you get these carbs, retain your original parts, like needle valves and jet housings. You might need them.

OK deep breath here.

Dave I hear you and understand you got some bad parts.
This is not the norm.
I talked in great length about this with folks at Blount Inc.
I was trying to get semi machined casting and parts to build better carbs from.
I was up and down the entire supply chain on this.

If its a new production part since the closing of Tecumseh its a Chinese part.
It's made by LCT the owners of the remaining assets of Tecumseh ( they bought the intellectual property and tooling but not the stock ).

If its an actual assembled engine made since the closing it was from certified parts.
Everything they have came in boxes some is good some is bad its all over the place because the defects and the good parts all went to the same place for sorting and stocking.
I am told they even plan on building new old engines from these parts too a long the lines of what happened to Clinton and the surges of engines sold in the 80s made of these surplus bits ( some of these showed up as late as 1990 and I saw them at the PA in Toronto as an example, they seemed OK but what do you know until you buy and strip one ).

Bad things happened in the end of tecumseh.
Think about it if you knew the end was near and you stopped giving a shite what kind of crap would you turn out?

buckeye

I too have bought and modified several 15 dollar carbs.
No issues at all.
But, I am no expert with all the fancy measuring tools and flow benches, so I may be missing a 1/100 of a hp gain.
And haven't noticed any change in gas mileage.:laugh: