Chrome Plating

Ding Ding

Talking to owner of JR Custom Plating in North branch, MN he has told me this is the worst time of year for chrome plating as far as turn around time goes. People come out of hibernation and start back in on those restoration projects and send their parts out to be plated. He told me the best time to do it was the dead of winter. Despite the long lead time, the finish product has been outstanding and I considered the prices to be fair. In the end, you want to have perfect parts and spending a couple more dollars or waiting a couple more weeks/months can be worth it.

From my experience with rechroming parts, the words "chrome", "reasonable price", and "quick turn around time" do not belong in the same sentence! LOL
BTW- What is a "reasonable price" is very subjective and will vary (sometimes significantly) from individual to individual. Whet do YOU consider as "reasonably priced" ?
Michael

Last edited:
I shopped quite a bit last year looking for someone, anyone, willing to re-plate my old Yamaha's mufflers as I prepared it for a show. Time was short. No one wants to do mufflers. The search finally led me to Salt Lake Chrome. They meet all of your criteria. The price was way less than the only other place I found that was even willing to give a quote. Turnaround took only about two weeks and the result still looks swell a year later. It was a great experience. Good communication and just plain straight up folks. I will use them again.

Salt Lake Chrome – Chroming, Pot Metal, Metal Restoration

Last edited:
Tom,
What was the cost for doing the parts in your photos? Like I said, what is "reasonable" to one guy may be far from that to another.
Michael

I have a great plating company in Omaha, but my problem is that they do too good of a job. It's crazy expensive and the parts always look show quality. They look out of place on parts that originally had very little metal prep other than a trichloroethelyne dip in 197*. I tried to ask him to tone it down to replicate crappy 70's factory chrome and he just wasn't very willing to do it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Tom,
What was the cost for doing the parts in your photos? Like I said, what is "reasonable" to one guy may be far from that to another.
Michael
Two big mufflers, two head pipes and four other bits of hardware. I recall that it was quite a bit less than $500 for the bunch. I'm traveling this week, but can check the receipt when I get home next week. The other place that said they'd do them, Ogden Chrome (highly regarded for fine resto work, BTW) quoted thousands of dollars.

I shopped quite a bit last year looking for someone, anyone, willing to re-plate my old Yamaha's mufflers as I prepared it for a show. Time was short. No one wants to do mufflers. The search finally led me to Salt Lake Chrome. They meet all of your criteria. The price was way less than the only other place I found that was even willing to give a quote. Turnaround took only about two weeks and the result still looks swell a year later. It was a great experience. Good communication and just plain straight up folks. I will use them again.

Beautiful RD350...Such cool bikes! I used to have a 250 and a 350 that I restored...wish I kept them...I always wanted a 400 with the small ferring.

To the OP...chrome is NOT cheap, even when you find a 'reasonable' shop it's still not cheap. Due to the EPA getting stricter each year they are becoming a dying breed. Even here in Phoenix, a fairly large city, there is hardly anyone left, and there used to be plenty as little as 5-10yrs ago. It'll keep getting more and more expensive if the regulations keep getting stiffer...I'd go with Tom S. suggestion. I've spent over $1000 on some of my mini's, just on the chrome = silly IMHO. Heck mini bike handle bars are $80 to $150 depending on where you go.

sweet looking RD350 tom, nice job. i had an R5C, the predecessor to your bike.
sigh, those we the days....