Chrome Ruttman Washer 5hp??

I got another bike in the mail today. It was my understanding that it was painted Ruttman washer.. It my surprise it was originally chrome.:thumbsup: I zip stripped all the paint off. It's missing the seat mount. Not a big deal... On the frame it is stamped "4934". I compared to my other washer that I'm just finishing and it appears that the engine plate is 1/2 forwards. Is this a 5hp frame???

Could some of the Ruttman gurus chime in??? What does the frame number I dictate?? :scooter:

Cool find :thumbsup:. Most likely not a 5HP bike...more like a Tec 3.5HP. And the number is higher...so more towards 68 if I was to guess.

Cool find :thumbsup:. Most likely not a 5HP bike...more like a Tec 3.5HP. And the number is higher...so more towards 68 if I was to guess.
Cheese,

It' s my understanding that the washer frames were the early 60's models?? Is there a reference thread for the frame numbers??

Bill if Jacks is a 4934, mine is a 4279K and moto bunny is a 2194 What number do you look at or is it just a production number ?

Cheese,

It' s my understanding that the washer frames were the early 60's models?? Is there a reference thread for the frame numbers??
From my knowledge..the chrome ones were from 66-68 for the washer frames.

Bill if Jacks is a 4934, mine is a 4279K and moto bunny is a 2194 What number do you look at or is it just a production number ?

Almost all the real original chrome ones I seen or owned....was just numbers without a letter. The painted bikes had the letter after. But I do not know what it stands for. Dean seems to have a better idea of the numbers than me.

From my knowledge..the chrome ones were from 66-68 for the washer frames.

Almost all the real original chrome ones I seen or owned....was just numbers without a letter. The painted bikes had the letter after. But I do not know what it stands for. Dean seems to have a better idea of the numbers than me.

Thanks for the info:thumbsup: My black washer frame did not have a frame number?? I was told these bikes were the mail order kits??:shrug:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info:thumbsup: My black washer frame did not have a frame number?? I was told these bikes were the mail order kits??:shrug:[/QUOTE]

I never heard of that. Pretty sure they all had numbers on them at some point. Some were stamped lighter than others...and can be barely seen after years of sanding and re-painting or repairs. But never know..could be.

Hey nice find! .....a chrome Ruttman for you and one for me, the minibike gods hath spoken! That must have been a rush to see that chrome peek out from underneath the paint, when you stripped it! I see yours got the heinous "cut the seat mounts" off treatment too. :doah: At least you didn't get the "drill holes in the frame" followup like mine... :scared:

I will be watching what you do with yours, still plotting what I might do with mine but I am currently busy with a CAT Chopper refresh and Taco 22DB, Bonanza BC1300 restos plus I have to fix the tank on my Ding How :freakout: ...... here's to a most productive fall & winter! :grind: :weld: :drinkup:

Last edited:
Yes. It's the fun of the hunt.. You found a nice roller too. I thinking I will make a clone GT 250 with the 5hp Briggs. That would be a kick.

Hey nice find! .....a chrome Ruttman for you and one for me, the minibike gods hath spoken! That must have been a rush to see that chrome peek out from underneath the paint, when you stripped it! I see yours got the heinous "cut the seat mounts" off treatment too. :doah: At least you didn't get the "drill holes in the frame" followup like mine... :scared:

I will be watching what you do with yours, still plotting what I might do with mine but I am currently busy with a CAT Chopper refresh and Taco 22DB, Bonanza BC1300 restos plus I have to fix the tank on my Ding How :freakout: ...... here's to a most productive fall & winter! :grind: :weld: :drinkup:

Nice find:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mean Dean

Time now to solve the Chrome frame saga. First of all there is no such thing as a 5 H.P. frame they were all the same. Ruttman designed his bike exclusively for Tecumseh front tank engines.The only difference in the early years were when Jim Ruttman was upset with Tecumseh's zone rep. He never bought from Tecumseh direct anymore after that. He bought all his engines from Small Engine Warehouse in Kansas City. That is why some bikes were built briefly with Briggs and Stratton. Those had the engine plate a little more forward to clear the rear tank Briggs. This is a quick reference as it is too long to get into the whole history of Ruttman and Lil Indian. The first Ruttman's were a single Post I call them. They had one single 7/8ths tube welded to the bottom of the Fork Neck to the Footbar going across the bottom of the frame. They had small forks also. I only know of 4 of those in existence. I have one. That is the one with the Engray-MAICO SPITFIRE engine on it. The others are in the #200's. Jim started out with 001. If it was bought as a do it your self kit it had no numbers therefore no warranty. There was no warranty if you built it yourself or it was shipped as a kit. The single posts were a hazard when on private property and if you hit a pot hole or ditch the pressure on the fork resulted in the bottom single bar snapping off at the fork collapsing the front end. He then went changed the design as we know it. Both bars coming up cut and welded to the bottom fork. In

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Very Kool Frame / Mini bike :thumbsup:

I would solve the cut out seat mount with Stainless steel flat bar & stainless weld. Kind of takes care of the chrome look and rusting weld issue.

You could also seal the weld with clear enamel after, Like clear nail polish.

Time now to solve the Chrome frame saga. First of all there is no such thing as a 5 H.P. frame they were all the same. Ruttman designed his bike exclusively for Tecumseh front tank engines.The only difference in the early years were when Jim Ruttman was upset with Tecumseh's zone rep. He never bought from Tecumseh direct anymore after that. He bought all his engines from Small Engine Warehouse in Kansas City. That is why some bikes were built briefly with Briggs and Stratton. Those had the engine plate a little more forward to clear the rear tank Briggs. This is a quick reference as it is too long to get into the whole history of Ruttman and Lil Indian. The first Ruttman's were a single Post I call them. They had one single 7/8ths tube welded to the bottom of the Fork Neck to the Footbar going across the bottom of the frame. They had small forks also. I only know of 4 of those in existence. I have one. That is the one with the Engray-MAICO SPITFIRE engine on it. The others are in the #200's. Jim started out with 001. If it was bought as a do it your self kit it had no numbers therefore no warranty. There was no warranty if you built it yourself or it was shipped as a kit. The single posts were a hazard when on private property and if you hit a pot hole or ditch the pressure on the fork resulted in the bottom single bar snapping off at the fork collapsing the front end. He then went changed the design as we know it. Both bars coming up cut and welded to the bottom fork. In
5...I have one.:001_tt2: