CL find, too new to minis to know what it is

found a craigslist ad for a 60-70's vintage minibike, no info on its running condition and no picture, had the guy send a text with a picture, here is what i got

to all the mini gurus...what is it? think im gonna pick it up for $75..what do you think?

would it be blasphemous to throw a predator 212 in there instead of rebuilding the existing engine?? (not confident in myself rebuilding old engines)

45t

Bird Wren or Duck

$75 seems good for a complete bike. I'd keep the original motor and maybe just pay a small engine shop (lawnmower/snowblower repair place) to check it out and freshen it up, if you are unsure of your engine skills. You can always tear into it and ask questions here as you go?

It looks more like the old Tawain bikes.. Scat Kat, Skat Bat or God knows what other 400 names it may have used.. :laugh: Is my guess... It's not a Bird though I know that much...

Judging by the looks of the entire machine, I am %100 sure the engine is in good shape.. If the original air filter is on it, and the tires aren't bald, it hasn't been ran hard enough to be unsaveable.. %90 of the time they just need the basics.. Carb cleaning.. Spark plug.. Maybe valves seated..

just asked if it ran and got

"no it had been sitting for awhile when i bought it. i havent had the time to get it running. it has compression so shouldnt take much to get it running. it does need a chain"

so hopefully just a simple tune up

i would like to get a more solid answer now that i have a little more info on it if possible. i picked it up last night for $60, has a 3.5hp tecumseh and from the little knowledge i have the engine is either a '67 or '77. look at these pictures and let me know if you guys can narrow it down.

any more help is appreciated

Haha, I like your stand:thumbsup::laugh:
Didn't notice the stand. That's cool. Hopefully on wheels.
thanks, no wheels, i either push it or use the jackstand to move it from place to place...its a 5.9 magnum block that was in my jeep

the guy i bought it from said he got it from a guy who said it sat in a barn for about 20 years, and it was his sons when he was a little kid (his son was 55 at the time so he thought it was around 45 yrs old making it late 60s early 70s) maybe the engine was replaced in 87.

i cant find anything about the manco serial number...and the odd things about the frame i've noticed that dont match most i've seen is it doesnt have the "grab bar" behind the seat, the back part of the frame is vertical and not angled, folding foot pegs, the rear axle brackets are outside the frame and not inside the frame, and the handlebar bend is over 90* so they're more like ape hangers than typ doodlebug style bars....i cant find this combination of differences in any mini i've looked at in google or on minidoodle...

Mean Dean

I said it was a 87" but I meant to say it was a 41 st day of 1977. I was tired the other night. 87 would have the newer flat muffler and the gas tank would have the lip around the cap.

Sorry, But Merry Xmas