Cleaning motors.

I just got a motor from a member and it is in need of a serious over haul. Needs to be tore down cleaned and rebuilt. My question is what is the best way to clean the outside of the motor. I want to spray it a different color when it's done. Do I need to do anything special to do that?

If you know you are rebuilding it, I would just take a pressure washer to it. I usually soak them in Purple Power first...

If it just a mild cleaning, toothbrushes and dishwashing soap.

Be very afraid....

At that point, pressure wash the outside and start stripping it down. You may not even be rebuilding it depending on how the inside looks.

Be very afraid....

At that point, pressure wash the outside and start stripping it down. You may not even be rebuilding it depending on how the inside looks.
To late. Motor is completely apart. Not bad really. Just mucky oil sludge. Cylinder is really clean. Head looks good. I can be rebuilt. Just didn't know if I could soak it clean it rebuild it then paint. Never painted a motor. Have seen some good and bad. I know I have to use a high temp spray paint. Just don't know if I can just spray it when I'm done or if there is a prep stage.

CarPlayLB

The key to good paint is to get everything clean. When you think its clean enough, clean it again!
Some Evil guy told me he takes a scotchbrite pad on a screwdriver and goes through each fin. Tedious work, but the results will show...look at my avatar!
I have been using a self etching primer with decent results. It seems to be a little more forgiving.

The key to good paint is to get everything clean. When you think its clean enough, clean it again!
Some Evil guy told me he takes a scotchbrite pad on a screwdriver and goes through each fin. Tedious work, but the results will show...look at my avatar!
I have been using a self etching primer with decent results. It seems to be a little more forgiving.
A small screwdriver ! :laugh:

What would be the difference in self etching primer and other I guess. I have cans apon cans of rust oleum automobile primer. Am I not using the right stuff.

CarPlayLB

What minibikin said!
I have been going to Pep boys and using the Duplicolor automotive paints. They have held up to the heat (so far!) and goes on easy and looks good. I also don't mix brands!

This is what I started with. Tore it down. Soaked the case and side cover I a tub of hot water and heavy duty cleaner/degreaser for about 4-5 hrs. Pulled it and got to scrubbing. Someone said a small screw driver and Brillo pad. I tried Brillo pad and Popsicle stick. Worked great on the fins. I pulled the pad apart and got to work. It's now air drying and started on the head. Cleaned up the intake side and installed new 18lbs spring. Exhaust side needs to be done but I need sleep.
Gotta travel north in the morning to the Ghetto Neck Society and see an Iron Honkey about a bike. So much to do So little time.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Why :shrug: leave the block alone and paint the tin :doah: If you must paint the block :doah: just use Duplicolor high temp w/ceramic :thumbsup: and I have never used primer on the Tec blocks I have painted :no:

How True, I understand primer is a good thing, BUT

Look at 30 - 40 year old Bicycles, Equipment, ect.

If you truly check, there is no primer before they were painted.

I see this all the time with vintage bikes.

I did not prime the drag bike tank, I just made sure t was good an clean.

I always get a laugh out of Tec engines, Assemble and paint everything.

Everything, fuel line, linkage, carb, all of it and some, even the spark plug. :blink: were they too lazy

Well you could always see replaced parts, because they did not have paint on them. Or were another color.
I'm not saying don't prime it.

I understand the benefits to primer, but they did not do it back then.

I'm sure I don't have to say it but, I would not trust any bearing that was in that engine.

Last edited: