Clinton A400/490 timing

Are these Clinton Panthers timed with a dial indicator or do you have to do the procedure I see in the manual? There it tells you to mark the flywheel against the block at the point the piston stops moving in the clockwise direction, then do it again in the CCW direction then divide in half to find TDC and then....zzzzzzzzzzzz....

Can't I just use the dial indicator like the glorious Tecumseh engine and move on with my happy lil life?

Yours,

Johnny

Service manual I have says "Ignition timing is 27 deg. BTDC and is nonadjustable. Armature air gap should be .007-.017 inch. Adjust breaker point gap to .018-.021 inch on all models." With that being said go ahead and check it with a dial indicator, degree wheel and light.

Service manual I have says "Ignition timing is 27 deg. BTDC and is nonadjustable. Armature air gap should be .007-.017 inch. Adjust breaker point gap to .018-.021 inch on all models." With that being said go ahead and check it with a dial indicator, degree wheel and light.
Do you know what year your manual comes from? Mine's a '73 I think. Unless I missed it, it doesnt say these are fixed timing. I'll check it again thanks.