Clinton A490 Panther

Hi folks! Got a Clinton motor from someone through the internet, put new crank seals in on PTO and flywheel side, and cleaned carb/fixed ignition wiring. She runs good! But I have some questions:

1. What year is it? It's an A490 1112, if that helps.

2. Does anyone have any performance parts? I'm specifically looking for an exhaust, and a 245-110-500 connecting rod, no luck on ebay. Also would like to know which spark plug is correct.

3. Anything I should be aware of as far as maintenance/fuel type/things to do/not to do?

Attachments

Well, it's been almost 3 years, and I've made a bit of progress, lol.

I modified a Tecumseh diaphragm carb by welding a tab onto the throttle shaft plate, to imitate the original carb's design.

I also installed the rod that I bought from Terry (scrambler1), along with a new reed valve and some assorted gaskets.

While I was removing the centrifugal clutch, its' central metal tube got stuck on the crank and tore the crankshaft PTO seal while I was removing the crankshaft. Oh joy of joys .

I assembled the motor, torqued everything down, and ordered a couple replacement seals, along with a new clutch.

After those come in and I install them, I hope the motor will run its' best. We'll see.

Attachments

You will let us know how the 2 speed works, won't you?
I have several old smokers that I need to do something with. I can either learn along with you, or we can learn from each others' mistakes.

You will let us know how the 2 speed works, won't you?
I have several old smokers that I need to do something with. I can either learn along with you, or we can learn from each others' mistakes.
Shockingly even with my 350 pounds it works great!

My much lighter nephew took it for a ride and says it's much faster; for me, it's about the same speed-wise, I just like the RPM change when it shifts.

Attachments

[
Hi folks! Got a Clinton motor from someone through the internet, put new crank seals in on PTO and flywheel side, and cleaned carb/fixed ignition wiring. She runs good! But I have some questions:

1. What year is it? It's an A490 1112, if that helps.

2. Does anyone have any performance parts? I'm specifically looking for an exhaust, and a 245-110-500 connecting rod, no luck on ebay. Also would like to know which spark plug is correct.

3. Anything I should be aware of as far as maintenance/fuel type/things to do/not to do?
I know I’m a bit behind in the trend but does anyone know where I can find crank seals for these Clinton engines?

[

If the tag says A490, the engine is older than 1961, as Clinton revamped their model numbers.
A490 became 500-0300-xxxx.
The proper plug is Champion RJ12c.
I only have used ‘quiet mufflers’ for sale. Not good for power.
Don’t skimp on oil. Use the original mixture of 8 oz per gallon, unless racing, then 12oz per gallon.
I have that rod.
email me at terryas@att.net

terry

I know I’m a bit behind in the trend but does anyone know where I can find crank seals for these Clinton engines?

Terry was right! The points that were in it were burnt, they were likely the original ones and had Clinton stamped on them.

I installed and gapped a set of Tecumseh points, and the engine runs great!