Clinton engine

Panther is a A400 two stroke. Their value has been going up due to their use in vintage karting. They used to be used in a lot of the early minibikes.

I have 2 of that style Clinton in my shed. I'll check the model numbers. One is coupled to a 1000 watt generator. I've never ran either. Are the Panthers the only ones with a cast iron cylinder?

I think I have a pretty rare Clinton, 3HP 500-300, which should be a ball bearing pto. It was an air mover used by my local volunteer fire department. Being that a huge fan was pulling air over the motor anytime it ran, it never could get too hot.

Attachments

I think I have a pretty rare Clinton, 3HP 500-300, which should be a ball bearing pto. It was an air mover used by my local volunteer fire department. Being that a huge fan was pulling air over the motor anytime it ran, it never could get too hot.
First time I have seen that application!
I hope it was used outside, or the exhaust could have caused a problem for anyone down wind?

First time I have seen that application!
I hope it was used outside, or the exhaust could have caused a problem for anyone down wind?
Next time I pull it out of the shed I will get a better pic for future reference.
Yes, they were used outside to ventilate an area by drawing air from the source.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Here’s my follow up: The ventilation unit is made by Super vac. They have different engines based on the year made but they are all basically the same. Gas powered units are typically Tecumseh or Clinton. The older units have Clinton’s and a cast aluminum fan.
The model # is 500-0300-051 on the unit I have.
This is the predecessor to the Panther (490) engine. HTH

Attachments