Clone 13hp vs Honda GX390

KB2ROCKET

My current project called " THE OX " will be a 2 wheel drive minibike it will be my version of a over built rokon with more horsepower and a better suspension. At the cost of being heavier I want to use this vehicle to explore in areas that most vehicles can't get to so it occurred to me that the hopped up engines I have been building for this bike may be the wrong approach because what I need more than anything is dependably rather than horsepower so the big question is .... is a genuine stock Honda GX390 worth the price as far as being more dependable than its clone?

how are you getting power to the front wheel? i'll bet you have the engine drive a single hydraulic pump
that drives front and rear hydraulic motors. cool! you could pull this off!

trinik7597

I would take a used Honda over a clone any day personally ... But I don't think I would pay new price on either ... Unless maybe it was a Vegas kart 460 which is a hell of a deal

KB2ROCKET

I ended up buying a new predator 420 13 hp it starts real easy and will be used gently as a desert transportation tool not a race machine

Sweet project! I have built a couple 2wd bikes and always wanted to build one with suspension. I went the fat tire with low pressure route instead of suspension for simplicity. It is good at absorbing small bumps, but makes the handling difficult, and it bounces wildly on big bumps.

I went with the old arctic cat cub style chain drive and used a pto overrunning clutch to allow for differences in wheel speeds when turning. What gearboxes are you planning on using? What overrunning setup? Tires?..... Curious minds need to know, ha!

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-discussion/112092-2x2-build.html

Thanks

Edit: I found The Ox build.

Last edited:

KB2ROCKET

I will be taking a different approach (subject to change) 13 hp predator with a 94c duster snowmobile clutch no gearboxes one universal and a manual clutch for the front drive and fully suspended front and rear

Last edited: