Clone Cam Dilemma

new to the site and would appreciate any advice i can get. Having trouble choosing a new cam. Engine is powering a modified baja heat. Not track ridden or raced, just an around town and country bike. looking for higher rpm without killing the low end. dont need a torque monster just descent acceleration. here is what the rest of the engin will be:
stock clone block, stock crank, arc rod, dished piston, 26lb springs, 1:1 rockers either on a 14cc stock, or 18cc milled + big valves, re-jetted stock carb pump fed w/ spacer, header, k&n style filter, and a rev s2 finned flywheel. Again i am tearring my hair out on this one and any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Bikerscum

new to the site and would appreciate any advice i can get. Having trouble choosing a new cam. Engine is powering a modified baja heat. Not track ridden or raced, just an around town and country bike. looking for higher rpm without killing the low end. dont need a torque monster just descent acceleration. here is what the rest of the engin will be:
stock clone block, stock crank, arc rod, dished piston, 26lb springs, 1:1 rockers either on a 14cc stock, or 18cc milled + big valves, re-jetted stock carb pump fed w/ spacer, header, k&n style filter, and a rev s2 finned flywheel. Again i am tearring my hair out on this one and any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
You're going to hear this a lot around here, because it's great advice... call Tim Isky. Isky cams

He knows what you need & has it.

Welcome to OldMiniBikes :drinkup:

Your carb is holding up your flow. Do like bikerscum said call Tim and get yourself a carb kit. Throw in the flat top piston too. Black mamba cam 1.3 ratio rockers . You'll gave power , reliability, and life. I ran that combo over a year. Lots of power. It won lots of races. Motor is still going too. Lol.

thanks to both of you and i just came from his site. ordering the mamba hardface kit. while im at it, i was looking at his package deals and like the 250 dollar one but its not the flywheel iwas gonna go with. Any opinions on the arc flywheel vs the rev finned s2? i know i could play with the difference in timing, but the weight difference has got me wondering. and thanx again guys!!

thanks to both of you and i just came from his site. ordering the mamba hardface kit. while im at it, i was looking at his package deals and like the 250 dollar one but its not the flywheel iwas gonna go with. Any opinions on the arc flywheel vs the rev finned s2? i know i could play with the difference in timing, but the weight difference has got me wondering. and thanx again guys!!
I would call him . He's the man. :thumbsup:

I went with this kit from Tim. It is the best package deal the I could find anywhere. They ARC piece by itself is cheaper but no less functional than the s2.

Your carb is holding up your flow. Do like bikerscum said call Tim and get yourself a carb kit. Throw in the flat top piston too. Black mamba cam 1.3 ratio rockers . You'll gave power , reliability, and life. I ran that combo over a year. Lots of power. It won lots of races. Motor is still going too. Lol.
Was that your "Gasser"?
I have that setup in a Gx160 and it really woke it up but I'm still waiting on carb parts for the moment.

Depends on what your trying to do with the motor, superlight is not always the best answer...Karting ? or Drag Racing...? Or ?

What springs did you run with that cam and 1.3 rockers?
OP, sorry to hi jack

dot worry about it man. any info is educational! Well, as long as its accurate I guess.:biggrin: the package i was looking at comes w/ 26 lb springs. To throw another question out there, what does everyone think about the stock or stamped ratio rockers? Will they hold up in this combo? Building on a budget and dont really have the cash for billet, but i was looking at the HD shaft monted sets Tim has. Wise investment or will my stockers or maybe stamped 1.3s hold up?

Last edited:
With the 1.3 rockers and the Mamba cam, that puts the lift right on the edge of dual valve spring territory at .35x. I'm having the valve bosses machined to accept the inner spring of Tim's "55#" duals. 26# will work with a stock ratio rocker, like the shaft mounted Tim has. I went with a billet 1.3, to get as much power out of the cam as I can and hopefully add a little longevity.

Last edited:
dot worry about it man. any info is educational! Well, as long as its accurate I guess.:biggrin: the package i was looking at comes w/ 26 lb springs. To throw another question out there, what does everyone think about the stock or stamped ratio rockers? Will they hold up in this combo? Building on a budget and dont really have the cash for billet, but i was looking at the HD shaft monted sets Tim has. Wise investment or will my stockers or maybe stamped 1.3s hold up?
26 lbs springs is what I had on mine. If you run higher lbs spring make sure you tell Tim.
As for the rockers you can use the regular stamped ones but that would be your weakest link. Over 26lbs your gona start breaking chiz( broken rockers ,bent pushrod ) If you do go dual get billet rockers and 1/4" push rods.

With the 1.3 rockers and the Mamba cam, that puts the lift right on the edge of dual valve spring territory at .35x. I'm having the valve bosses machined to accept the inner spring of Tim's "55#" duals. 26# will work with a stock ratio rocker, like the shaft mounted Tim has. I went with a billet 1.3, to get as much power out of the cam as I can and hopefully add a little longevity.
Sounds like you'll be good . I use 45lbs springs from Tim . Make sure your springs have enough clearance with those 55lbs springs. Sounds like your good to go. Keep us updated.

Its the Mamba, Tim said it was .351" lift at the valve with the 1.3's. Not really exact on how much rpm I'm turning (no tach). But I'm pretty sure that I was seeing over 7200rpm with almost stock valvetrain and stock cam before and haven't had the chance to run this one hard yet due to carb issues. Hoping for 8k and maybe just Lil extra.

Last edited:
ok so completely revised my combo: $250 isky package which is the mamba, 26lb springs, arc rod& flywheel, and flat top piston. Tims hd rockers, chromolly pushrods, hopefully a 14cc head(on the market if anyone has a used one to unload for cheap:biggrin:, or mildly ported and milled 18cc. How bad will a re-jetted stock carb be hurting me here? If more than just a little bit, i am also on the market for a mikuni or maybe gx390?? again, thanks in advance for helpin a noob out!!!!