Clone crank in a std Predator 212?

DaddyJohn

I’ve got a standard Predator 212 that had the crank stub break off flush with the crankcase cover, but is otherwise good. I’d love to replace the crank, but can’t seem to find them anywhere reasonable, if at all. What I’m wondering is if a clone crank might be substituted, as they are much easier to get. I assume it would also need a clone rod maybe? Thanks in advance for any help!

Wow- that is an oddball break/failure! How in the heck did that happen? If you are anywhere near a Harbor Freight the 212's are selling for
$ 150.00 right now. Rather than expending the time, trouble, and $$ of repairing, you could go that route.
Michael

SAS289

You may want to hold out until the Predator crankshafts are available. Changing to clone stuff would take a stroker crankshaft, rod, and flywheel.

DaddyJohn

Wow- that is an oddball break/failure! How in the heck did that happen? If you are anywhere near a Harbor Freight the 212's are selling for
$ 150.00 right now. Rather than expending the time, trouble, and $$ of repairing, you could go that route.
Michael
I got the engine 2nd-hand for $10 from a guy who had it on a chipper. He said they used a crank adapter to fit it to the machine, and apparently there was a little play or something. He said it was running great, even after it broke, but figured that was why. Anyway, I’d looked at NR Racing in the past, and they were out, but now it looks like they’re back! For $70 shipped, that puts me in at half the price of a new one. Cranks aren’t that hard to change out, so it sounds like a good route! :)

DaddyJohn

I ordered one from NR racing on a 10% off promo for a total of $64 shipped. On my $10 engine, that’s half the price of new (ignoring sales tax), and is enough motivation to do an easy crank swap. Since I don’t tend to hang onto things long-term, a lightly used engine with a new crank is as good as a new one for my purposes.