Clone is hunting at high rpm

Like I said earlier, Just bypass it like Affordable Go-karting shows how to do on there web site. If the motor is box stock why tear it down to get the governor out. Wait until you have the money to buy the rod, flywheel and valve springs to get more power out of the engine. Even with the current governor problem these engine make very good and reliable power, They start on the first pull usually if not second when 35 degrees out. They become addicting. And at the 75-100 bucks on sale they can be a cheap power in a bike your not wanting to be 100% correct, Just fast.

Restore Kid,
You need to break down and try a 6.5 Clone, You will be hooked. I did not think I would. These engines make for a relay nice cruising engines. I do not notice as much vibration as with the flathead engines when turning higher RPM's.

Restore Kid,
You need to break down and try a 6.5 Clone, You will be hooked. I did not think I would. These engines make for a relay nice cruising engines. I do not notice as much vibration as with the flathead engines when turning higher RPM's.
Oh yeah I'm sure they are good motors.. They are not going be a guaranteed as great as a Honda but for the price and availability for people who do not have the means to build their own engines they are a good answer to a quick fix...

I was not trying to knock the engines.. I was just stating that it very well be the problem... I have seen quite a lot of the Chinese shifter bikes that shift real hard because of the shifter spring being hard as hell.. I was just pointing out a very possible simple problem that would cause it to act as it does.. :shrug: I'd say do away with the governor too if need be.. :scooter: I am thinking if moving the spring helped (some) the problem might be the spring is just too damn stiff.. :shrug:

sounds like the carburetor isn't feeding enough fuel once the rpm gets up there. try holding the bike's rear tire up and try to hold the govenor arm to see if the motor will hold a steady rpm.

Yup, remove the governor!!!!! CHEAP POWER!!!!! On a side note, you don't have to run the damn thing WOT because the gov is removed. I very rarely run any of mine wot. Just a good cruising speed and I'm happy....:wink:

I am thinking if moving the spring helped (some) the problem might be the spring is just too damn stiff.. :shrug:[/QUOTE said:
I have now sold the clone in question.I pulled another one from off the shelf to inspect the spring, and you might be on to something. The spring is waaay too stiff.

I have now sold the clone in question.I pulled another one from off the shelf to inspect the spring, and you might be on to something. The spring is waaay too stiff.
:lol: Yeah, I'm wrong sometimes but right or good guess pretty damned often... :thumbsup: I am usually looking for the quick easy free fix too.. I don't like when 14 year old kids say Awwwwwwwww my tecumseh misses at 3,800 rpms, and someones FIRST answer is RUN OUT AND BUY 39 new clone motors and one is BOUND to work.. :hammer:

I'd rather see someone learn to fix their stuff and save their money to spend on something made in the USA.... if there is such a thing anymore...

I have 4 clones.
All were junk motors.

They can be fixed and made to work if you put some effort into them. Trouble is far too often people give up.

I have 4 clones.
All were junk motors.

They can be fixed and made to work if you put some effort into them. Trouble is far too often people give up.
I think the problem is people buy BRAND NEW engines IN THE BOX and take it out and get 4 junk ones in a row.... Damn......... Lesson learned.. :hammer:

Make things work.

Replacing an engine out of the box without understanding why it doesn't work for you and what the problem ius is kind of like cutting off the head to cure the head ache

Make things work.

Replacing an engine out of the box without understanding why it doesn't work for you and what the problem ius is kind of like cutting off the head to cure the head ache
:confused:I know what the original problem was. I have sold that engine since. I am stating that I have one more clone left and if this one also needs the same adjustments, then I will just stick with the Briggs and Tecs that I have.

Make things work.

yeah but it's supposed to WORK brand new out of the box.. I'd be pissed off too.. :angry: Thats why I build my motors from the scrap heap.. :hammer: that's where ya get the good ones.. :wink:

yeah but it's supposed to WORK brand new out of the box.. I'd be pissed off too.. :angry: Thats why I build my motors from the scrap heap.. :hammer: that's where ya get the good ones.. :wink:
I'm following your lead man. i've been working on a 5HP Brings flattie all weekend, and just about got it all buttoned up. All I need know is to figure out what size bolt I need on the end of the shaft, so that I can put the clutch on.

sounds like the carburetor isn't feeding enough fuel once the rpm gets up there. try holding the bike's rear tire up and try to hold the govenor arm to see if the motor will hold a steady rpm.
If you hold the arm of course it will hold by doing so you are essentially bypassing the governer! The problem is the entire throttle assembly is controlled by the black spring, that is your connection to the throttle, which is a hinkey deal and can be adjusted if you have the patience! I currently have 2 with clones and found the right balance on one and will remove the governer from the other, but not because I am giving up on it I just want more speed than a governer is willing to allow!

Well.................................My last clone is also a piece of shit. It sucks to be me!! The Briggs that I'm working on isn't where I thought it was( It's idling at 12000rpm lol). And now this Tec is screwing with me. Out of 9 COMPLETE bikes, The only one that runs flawless is a stock DB(the one thats spanking the clones). How pathetic. I hope my Roadster rebuild goes better. Ok I guess I shouldn't be drinking and venting. Mini bikes suck!!( TONIGHT ANYWAYS)

Well.................................My last clone is also a piece of shit. It sucks to be me!! The Briggs that I'm working on isn't where I thought it was( It's idling at 12000rpm lol). And now this Tec is screwing with me. Out of 9 COMPLETE bikes, The only one that runs flawless is a stock DB(the one thats spanking the clones). How pathetic. I hope my Roadster rebuild goes better. Ok I guess I shouldn't be drinking and venting. Mini bikes suck!!( TONIGHT ANYWAYS)
you pay the shipping both ways (I'm poor) and that briggs will come back one BAD MOTHER FCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine drives me around with 4 breaks in the frame going so fast I can barely keep it on the road..... :shrug: ....... So drunk I can not walk.... 60 MPH...... EVERY DAY!!!!!!!

doing business......

My business car????? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Briggs powered..... :shrug: ........... Briggs Flatty or fck off and die is what I say????? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Too bad you don't live closer. You seem like you would be pretty cool to hang out with. Pm me your address and I'll get this Briggs on the first thing smoking Saturday morning.

Last edited:
Thats a very narrow view.
If you ever get the channce to do some reading about the Ford T some of the things you were suposed to do were check for defects and sand for example in the oil pan ( casting sand lol ).
We are a bit spoiled these days just assuming that everything should work perfect right out of the box. But rather we should look at cost VS value.

Some place in Africa or the midle east someone is uncrating a Petter AV1 clone. And he will probably strip, clean, adjust and tinker with it before it goes into service because it is after all a clone. Its cost effective to him to buy the imperfect clone ( and the real AV1 has been out of production for decades any way ). A trip to the local market will buy him a new Mico ( Indian Bosche ) injector for 20 dollars if he needs it, bearings Paskistan for 2 dollars a set and head gaskets for pennies a pop from Iran or Thiland.
SO I don't complain. If I wanted out of the crate perfection i would have bought an animal.